Becker Library Archives
9:00am - 5:00pm, M-F (or by appointment)
arb@wusm.wustl.edu/(314) 362-4236


Browse Collections By: Title Classification

Saint Louis Dental Society and Allied Association RecordsAdd to your cart. | Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives

Title: Saint Louis Dental Society and Allied Association RecordsAdd to your cart.
ID: PC/PC056
Extent: 0.5 Linear Feet
Predominant Dates: 1872-1929
expand icon Biographical/Historical Note

The St. Louis Dental Society was founded in 1856, marking the beginning of organized dentistry in the state of Missouri. The founders were Henry Barron, Sylvanus Dunham, Isaiah Forbes, H. J. McKellops, and Henry E. Peebles. Dunham was the first president. The society was incorporated and chartered by the state of Missouri in 1882. Its charter from the Missouri State Dental Association made it a component of the Missouri Dental Association and the American Dental Association. The St. Louis Dental Society became the Greater St. Louis Dental Society in 1960.  Its purpose is to serve the dental needs of St. Louis by promoting public health through service and education.

A committee to organize the Dentists' Scientific and Benevolent Association (aka Dentists' Mutual Aid Association of America) was formed July 12, 1883, at a meeting of the Missouri State Dental Association. The committee of R.J. Pearson and S.B. Prevost was empowered to draft a constitution and by-laws and call the first meeting. The organizational meeting's initial aim was the formation of an aid association among the members of the dental profession  "to serve for the mutual protection of its members and in case of death to secure to the widows and orphans of its members such pecuniary aid as would place them beyond ... immediate want." The objects of the organization in its constitution and by-laws were broader: "to contribute to the elevation of the dental profession; to facilitate and secure a more extended acquaintance among the members thereof; to advance the standard of professional attainment; to promote the usefulness, honor, and interests of its members, and provide for the relief and aid of their families, widows, orphans, or other dependents." Members were dentists of the United States at any level of an organized dental society or any person engaged in the capacity of manufacturer, dealer, or salesman of dental instruments or material. The principal office of the association was in Kansas City, Missouri. Among the charter members from St. Louis were W.H. Eames and Alex Heburn but most of the charter members were from Kansas City.

The St. Louis Society of Dental Science was formed out of two dental societies in a joint meeting on December 18, 1906. At that meeting, the Fraternal Dental Society and the Society of Dental Science approved a new constitution and by-laws for a consolidated society. Its publication St. Louis Society of Dental Science continued until 1973.

expand icon Access and Use Restrictions
Restrictions: The collection is open and accessible for research.
Rights:

Users of the collection should read and abide by the Rights and Permissions guidelines at the Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives.

Users of the collection who wish to cite items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication must request, sign, and return a Statement of Use form to the Archives.

For detailed information regarding use of this collection, contact the Archives and Rare Book Department of the Becker Library (arb@wusm.wustl.edu).

Related Materials:

See also the St. Louis Dental Society Records, 1910-1939, 2 folders (50 items) at the Missouri Historical Society, St. Louis, Mo.

The journal collection of the Bernard Becker Medical Library holds newsletters of the St. Louis Society of Dental Science (1924-1973), the St. Louis Dental Society (1930-1960), and the Greater St. Louis Dental Society (1960-1996).

See also the Washington University School of Dental Medicine, Legacy of Achievement website.

Preferred Citation: [Item description, Box number, Folder number], Saint Louis Dental Society and Allied Association Records, Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives, Washington University School of Medicine.
Printer-friendly Printer-friendly | Full Finding Aid Full Finding Aid

BERNARD BECKER MEDICAL LIBRARY
660 S. Euclid Ave., Campus Box 8132, St. Louis MO 63110
Phone: 314.362.7080 Fax: 314.454.6606


©2017 Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
Powered by Archon


Page Generated in: 1.049 seconds (using 139 queries).
Using 10.12MB of memory. (Peak of 10.33MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign