Becker Library Archives
9:00am - 5:00pm, M-F (or by appointment)
arb@wusm.wustl.edu/(314) 362-4236


Browse Collections By: Title Classification

G. Canby Robinson ReprintsAdd to your cart. | Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives

Title: G. Canby Robinson ReprintsAdd to your cart.
ID: FC/FC078
Extent: 0.25 Linear Feet
Predominant Dates: 1902-1918
expand icon Biographical/Historical Note

George Canby Robinson (1878-1960) was the former chair of the Department of Medicine and dean of Vanderbilt Medical School who transformed the school in the 1920s by changing the faculty from private physicians to full-time academic professors and leading the efforts in building a brand new medical campus for Vanderbilt University.

Robinson held a medical degree from Johns Hopkins University and served in a variety of positions before being hired by Vanderbilt in 1920. He was a resident pathologist and physician in Philadelphia in the early years of the 1900s and then turned to medical education as an associate professor at the Rockefeller Institute in 1910. From 1913 to 1920, Robinson was an associate professor of medicine at Washington University in St. Louis.

At Vanderbilt, Robinson was able to convince the university that it would be more beneficial to build a new campus for the medical school rather than improve and enlarge the buildings on South Campus. Despite concerns, Robinson was able to raise 7 million dollars, including the largest single grant given to a medical school at the time, to start construction on the new medical school on West Campus. It took four years to complete, but Robinson used the time well. He served as a temporary head of the Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine, toured German and English medical schools, and purchased books and journals for the medical library. He also oversaw the selection of the first physicians to become full-time faculty at the school and sent them to European medical schools to study their education methods. The Vanderbilt Hospital and Medical School opened in 1925.

In 1927, he left Vanderbilt for the position of Director of the new Cornell Medical School, and retired in 1955. Robinson passed away in 1960.

expand icon Access and Use Restrictions
Restrictions: The collection is open and accessible for research.
Rights:

Users of the collection should read and abide by the Rights and Permissions guidelines at the Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives.

Users of the collection who wish to cite items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication must request, sign, and return a Statement of Use form to the Archives.

For detailed information regarding use of this collection, contact the Archives and Rare Book Department of the Becker Library (arb@wusm.wustl.edu).

Preferred Citation: [Item description, Box number, Folder number], G. Canby Robinson Reprints, Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives, Washington University School of Medicine.
Printer-friendly Printer-friendly | Full Finding Aid Full Finding Aid

BERNARD BECKER MEDICAL LIBRARY
660 S. Euclid Ave., Campus Box 8132, St. Louis MO 63110
Phone: 314.362.7080 Fax: 314.454.6606


©2017 Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
Powered by Archon


Page Generated in: 0.425 seconds (using 130 queries).
Using 9.63MB of memory. (Peak of 9.85MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign