Becker Library Archives
9:00am - 5:00pm, M-F (or by appointment)
arb@wusm.wustl.edu/(314) 362-4236


Browse Collections By: Title Classification

St. Louis Children's Hospital Records, 1879-2011Add to your cart. | Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives

Title: St. Louis Children's Hospital Records, 1879-2011Add to your cart.
ID: RG/RG013
Extent: 85.75 Linear Feet
Predominant Dates: 1879-2011
expand icon Biographical/Historical Note

St. Louis Children’s Hospital (SLCH) opened in 1879 at 2834 Franklin Avenue, in a small building which could admit just 15 patients. Created through the efforts of a group of St. Louis women and homeopathic doctors, SLCH was one of the first hospitals dedicated to the care of children in the United States. Within five years of opening, a new, larger hospital building was constructed at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Adams Street in 1884. The hospital’s growth continued as it affiliated with another children’s hospital, the Martha Parsons Free Hospital for Children (previously the Augusta Free Hospital for Children), in 1910.

A large gift to fund a new hospital building and an affiliation agreement with Washington University prompted the hospital to move again in 1915.  This new building was located at 500 South Kingshighway Boulevard near the new Barnes Hospital and the Washington University School of Medicine campus. SLCH would move once again just one block north to a new building at 400 South Kingshighway Boulevard in 1984. Throughout its years of operation, SLCH has shared staff, building space, and in other ways partnered with other local institutions including Barnes Hospital, Jewish Hospital, and St. Louis Maternity Hospital. In 1994, SLCH signed a merger agreement with BJC Health System.

Over the course of its history, SLCH has continually grown, offering new services and admitting more patients. From the two initial patients which the hospital admitted in 1879, total patient admissions at the main hospital building grew to 76 admissions in 1885; 1,800 admissions in 1915; 3,987 admissions in 1942; 7,360 admissions in 1977; and 15,500 admissions in 2009. The $551.34 of cash on hand which the hospital reported in 1879 had grown to net revenue of $4,556,000 in 1983, just before the hospital moved to its new 400 South Kingshighway building.

SLCH has achieved worldwide, national, and regional medical innovations and firsts, and provides national and regional leadership in multiple medical specialties. Among these achievements is the first treatment of a diabetic child using insulin in the United States in 1922. SLCH is consistently ranked among the best pediatric hospitals in the United States by U.S. News and World Report.

expand icon Access and Use Restrictions
Restrictions: The collection is open and accessible for research.
Rights:

Users of the collection should read and abide by the guidelines of the Use of Archival Collections policy at the Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives.

Users of the collection who wish to cite items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication must request, sign, and return a Statement of Use form to the Archives.

For detailed information regarding use of this collection, contact the Archives and Rare Book Department of the Becker Library (arb@wusm.wustl.edu).

Related Materials: See also BJC Healthcare, Inc., RG046
Preferred Citation: [Item description, Box number, Folder number], Saint Louis Children's Hospital Records, Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives, Washington University School of Medicine.
Printer-friendly Printer-friendly | Full Finding Aid Full Finding Aid

BERNARD BECKER MEDICAL LIBRARY
660 S. Euclid Ave., Campus Box 8132, St. Louis MO 63110
Phone: 314.362.7080 Fax: 314.454.6606


©2017 Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
Powered by Archon


Page Generated in: 0.454 seconds (using 139 queries).
Using 10.86MB of memory. (Peak of 11.12MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign