Name and location of repository
Level of description
Humboldt Medical College Records
- 1866-1869 (Creation)
0.50 Linear Feet
Name of creator
The Humboldt Medical College (1859-1869) was organized as a German medical college in 1859 under the name of "Humboldt Institut oder Deutsch." Its founder was Dr. Adam Hammer, and two classes were graduated before the Civil War. Its sessions were then discontinued until 1866, when the institution was reorganized and the faculty was composed of the following physicians: F.G. Bernays, G. Bernays, D. Goebel, Adam Hammer, F.W. Hauck, T.C. Hilgard, C. Roesch and E. Schmidt.
The first course of lectures was given in the winter of 1866-1867, and the ambition of the promoters of this enterprise was to make Humboldt Medical College an institution that would compare favorably with the far-famed medical institutions of Germany. In their prospectus, the faculty announced the purpose of having a longer term than any other medical college in the country, of arranging a graded course, and of affording facilities of instruction for the different specialties. The building occupied by the college stood on the lot fronting St. Louis City Hospital on the south side of Soulard Street, and was admirably adapted for its purpose.
After reopening in 1866, the institution gave promise of success and graduated some physicians who later became eminent in their profession, but it failed to meet the expectation of promoters, and in 1869 most of its faculty resigned and the existence of the college terminated with the end of its third course of lectures.
*Source: Institutional history taken from the Encyclopedia of the History of St. Louis, 1899, vol. 2, p. 1075.
Scope and content
This collection includes minutes of the faculty, rules and regulations, and faculty correspondence.
System of arrangement
Conditions governing access
The collection is open and accessible for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
Users of the collection should read and abide by the Rights and Permissions guidelines at the Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives.
Users of the collection who wish to cite items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication must request, sign, and return a Statement of Use form to the Archives.
For detailed information regarding use of this collection, contact the Archives and Rare Book Department of the Becker Library (email@example.com).
Item description, Reference Code, Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives, Washington University in St. Louis.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Gift, St. Louis Society for Medical and Scientific Education, 4 June 1990 (1990-061). The 19th century documents are stamped “Property, St. Louis Medical History Club.”
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
See also in the Becker Medical Library the Humboldt Medical Archives, 1867-1873, a periodical edited by Humboldt Medical School Faculty.
Rules or conventions
"Describing Archives: A Content Standard, Second Edition (DACS), 2013."
© Copyright 2019 Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives. All rights reserved.