Name and location of repository
Level of description
Preventive Medicine and Public Health Department Records
2.00 Linear Feet
Name of creator
The Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health at Washington University was established in 1944 with grant support from the Commonwealth Fund and the Rockefeller Foundation. Faculty in this department taught classes in biostatistics, epidemiology, nutrition, ambulatory medical care, applied physiology, and rehabilitation medicine.
Beginning in 1958, the training of occupational therapists and physical therapists was administratively placed within the department. The department also ran two clinics on the medical campus: the Student Health Service and the Irene Walter Johnson Institute of Rehabilitation. The longest serving head of the department was Robert Shank from 1948 to 1987.
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions governing access
The collection is open and accessible for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
Users of the collection should read and abide by the Rights and Permissions guidelines at the Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives.
Users of the collection who wish to cite items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication must request, sign, and return a Statement of Use form to the Archives.
For detailed information regarding use of this collection, contact the Archives and Rare Book Department of the Becker Library (email@example.com).
Item description, Reference Code, Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives, Washington University in St. Louis.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
Rules or conventions
"Describing Archives: A Content Standard, Second Edition (DACS), 2013."
© Copyright 2019 Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives. All rights reserved.