Name and location of repository
Level of description
Surgery Department Records
3.00 Linear Feet
Name of creator
The Washington University School of Medicine has had a department of surgery since it was established in 1891. In 1919, the Department of Surgery appointed its first full-time chairman, Evarts Graham, MD, as the William K. Bixby Professor and chairman of the department. Graham, who was surgeon-in-chief at Barnes Hospital from 1919 to 1951, stressed the importance of the basic sciences to the training of surgeons and believed that the study of general surgery should constitute a large share of the time spent in preparing for a career in a surgical specialty.
Graham's legacy of integrating basic science research and clinical care to create the surgical scientist was continued by later chairmen Carl Moyer (1951-1965) and Walter Ballinger (1967-1978). In 1981, Samuel Wells Jr., MD, became the Bixby Professor and chairman of the department. In his 17 years as chairman, he recruited a world-class faculty, emphasized basic and translational research, and placed great emphasis on educating academic leaders in surgery. This tradition of excellence continued with the current head of surgery, Timothy J. Eberlein, MD, Bixby Professor and chair of the Department of Surgery, the Spencer T. and Ann W. Olin Distinguished Professor and director of the Siteman Cancer Center and surgeon-in-chief at Barnes-Jewish Hospital.
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions governing access
The collection is open and accessible for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
Users of the collection should read and abide by the Rights and Permissions guidelines at the Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives.
Users of the collection who wish to cite items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication must request, sign, and return a Statement of Use form to the Archives.
For detailed information regarding use of this collection, contact the Archives and Rare Book Department of the Becker Library (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Item description, Reference Code, Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives, Washington University in St. Louis.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
- 3rd Year Core Course in Surgery Students Composite Photographs
- Eugene M. Bricker Surgery Faculty Photographs
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery, Vertical File
- Blair, Apolline, St. Louis Children's Hospital Professor of Surgery, Vertical File
- Brown, James Barrett, Visiting Professorship in Plastic Surgery, Vertical File
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, WUSM Division of, Vertical File
- General Surgery, WUSM Division of, Vertical File
- Graham, Evarts A., Visiting Professorship of Surgery, Vertical File
- McCarroll, H. Relton, Sr., Visiting Professorship of Orthopedic Surgery, Vertical File
- Moyer, Carl A., Visiting Professor of Surgery, Vertical File
- Orthopedic Surgery, WUSM Division of, Vertical File
- Evarts A. Graham Papers
- Vilray Blair Papers
Rules or conventions
"Describing Archives: A Content Standard, Second Edition (DACS), 2013."
© Copyright 2019 Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives. All rights reserved.