Name and location of repository
Level of description
The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis Records
- 1878-2006 (Creation)
- 1878-2006 (Creation)
69.50 Linear Feet
Name of creator
In 1902, The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis opened at 5415 Delmar Boulevard. Prior attempts to create such a hospital had cited the need to care for the poor Jewish refugees of St. Louis; however, when the Jewish Hospital become a reality, it did so under the directive to afford care to the sick and disabled of, "any creed or nationality." By 1905, additions to the original hospital building were already required to accommodate more patients, marking the first in a long line of expansions the Jewish Hospital would undergo over the years.
By 1915, the hospital was treating close to 2,000 patients annually. The following years made it clear that further expansion was needed, and in 1920 the hospital purchased land on Kingshighway Boulevard for the purpose of erecting a larger hospital building. The Delmar location was sold, and, following years of construction and funding campaigns, the hospital at 216 South Kingshighway Boulevard was dedicated in May 1926. By the end of 1927, the new building's first full year in operation, the hospital had treated 5,146 patients. In 1951, a plan was finalized which provided for the integration of three St. Louis Jewish health agencies into what would become the Jewish Hospital Medical Center. The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis merged its operations with those of the Jewish Sanatorium, the Miriam Rosa Bry Convalescent-Rehabilitation Hospital of St. Louis, and the Jewish Medical Social Service Bureau. To accommodate the operations and patients of these health agencies, the Jewish Hospital was required to expand at its Kingshighway location. A building expansion program which included the addition of two new buildings and a six-story wing created room for the patients of the three other agencies to be moved to the newly named Jewish Hospital Medical Center in 1956.
Over its years of growth, Jewish Hospital and its staff have achieved several medical firsts, including performing the first successful in vitro fertilization in Missouri in 1985 and creating the first major in-patient child psychiatric service in the St. Louis area in 1958. When Washington University Medical School and Associated Hospitals (WUMSAH) was formed in 1962, Jewish Hospital was one of the original participating institutions, and in 1963 Jewish Hospital became a major teaching affiliate of Washington University Medical School.
In November 1992, Barnes and Jewish Hospitals signed an affiliation agreement, agreeing to pool resources wherever possible. This affiliation agreement was completed in March 1993 to create Barnes-Jewish, Incorporated (BJI). In April of 1993, BJI and Christian Health Services announced that they would affiliate to create BJC Health System, an affiliation which was finalized in June 1993. In January of 1996, a merger of Barnes and Jewish Hospital, built on the sharing of resources which began with the completion of the affiliation agreement in 1993, was legally completed, and the two became the present day Barnes-Jewish Hospital. Barnes-Jewish Hospital is consistently ranked among the best hospitals in America by U.S. News and World Report.
Scope and content
This collection includes items related to The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis. From early community attempts to raise funds for a Jewish hospital; to the hospital’s construction at sites on Delmar Boulevard (completed in 1902), and later, on Kingshighway Boulevard (completed in 1926); and continuing up to and beyond its merger with Barnes Hospital in 1996, the history of Jewish Hospital is documented in a variety of material formats. The collection includes hospital statistics; correspondence; scrapbooks; newspaper and magazine clippings; VHS and cassette tapes; photographs; artifacts; hospital publications; administrative records; and staff biographical files. Also included are the files of multiple subsidiary and associated hospital organizations. Of note is a set of key organizational documents for Jewish Hospital covering the years 1878-1977 ( series 11, sub-series 1); three large scrapbooks documenting hospital events and occurrences of the years 1927-1958 (series 5); and the collection of hospital publications ( series 9, sub-series 3), which includes serial magazines and annual reports of the hospital. Also of interest are the partial contents of the Delmar Boulevard hospital building’s 1901 cornerstone _(series 2, sub-series 1)and a collection of files documenting the 1962 hepatitis outbreak at Jewish Hospital (series 2, sub-series 2)._
System of arrangement
Conditions governing access
The collection is open and accessible for research, unless otherwise noted.
Conditions governing reproduction
Users of the collection should read and abide by the Rights and Permissions guidelines at the Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives.
Users of the collection who wish to cite items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication must request, sign, and return a Statement of Use form to the Archives.
For detailed information regarding use of this collection, contact the Archives and Rare Book Department of the Becker Library (email@example.com).
Item description, Reference Code, Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives, Washington University in St. Louis.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Becker Library copy:The record group consists largely of a deposit received from David Gee in 1990. The Board of Directors retain title to the records. Ruth R. Bettmann gave the Rothschild memorial from series 3 in 2004.
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
Publications of BJC, including 216: The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis (June 1952-October-November 1987) have been digitized and are available at the following link: http://digitalcommons.wustl.edu/bjc_pubs/
Rules or conventions
"Describing Archives: A Content Standard, Second Edition (DACS), 2013."
© Copyright 2019 Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives. All rights reserved.