Name and location of repository
Level of description
Pediatrics Department Records
4.00 Linear Feet
Name of creator
The Department of Pediatrics was made a part of the School of Medicine in 1891, when the St. Louis Medical College joined Washington University. The department, along with many university medical schools across the country, was reorganized in 1910 as a result of the Flexner Report. It was at this time that the Department gained its first residents in pediatrics.
In 1912, St. Louis Children’s Hospital officially affiliated with Washington University under the direction of department chairman Dr. Borden S. Veeder. The Pediatrics Department took control of the hospital’s clinical care. In 1917, W. McKim Marriott became the head of the department, and in 1919 he hired the Pediatrics Department’s first female faculty member, Kirsten Utheim Tovend.
Dr. Alexis F. Hartmann became department chair in 1936. In 1960, a new fellowship program for pediatrics residents was introduced, funded by the Dr. Herbert A. Mazur Children’s Fund. The program consisted of three years of funded study at St. Louis Children’s Hospital. 1964 began a ten-year process of donations from the Allen P. and Josephine B. Green Foundation for the development of a partnership between the Departments of Pediatrics and Neurology. The initial pledge consisted of $100,000 and by 1974 the fund had donated $500,000. Dr. David Goldring was department head during this time until 1966, when Dr. Philip R. Dodge took over. In 1967, Dr. Dodge was the 20th annual recipient of another ongoing donation process, this one from the Fern Waldman Memorial Fund in the amount of $5,000.
In 1986, Dr. Harvey R. Colten became the department chair, and under his leadership the Child Neurology division of the Pediatrics department was transferred to the Neurology Department. Dr. Alan L. Schwartz became head of the Department of Pediatrics in 1995. In that same year, the clinical labs established in 1912 at St. Louis Children’s Hospital were transferred completely from the Pediatrics Department to the Hospital. BJC Health Systems then integrated with Children’s Hospital. Dr. Schwartz served as department chair until 2015, when Dr. Gary A. Silverman took over leadership of the department.
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions governing access
The collection is open and accessible for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
Users of the collection should read and abide by the Rights and Permissions guidelines at the Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives.
Users of the collection who wish to cite items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication must request, sign, and return a Statement of Use form to the Archives.
For detailed information regarding use of this collection, contact the Archives and Rare Book Department of the Becker Library (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Item description, Reference Code, Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives, Washington University in St. Louis.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
- Howland, John, Vertical File
- Borden S. Veeder Papers
- W. McKim Marriott Reprints
- David Goldring Papers
- Park J. White Photographs
- Teresa J. Vietti Papers
- Jessie L. Ternberg Papers
- Jessie L. Ternberg Oral History
- Philip R. Dodge Saint Louis Children's Hospital Photographs
- Dodge, Philip R., II, Vertical File
- St. Louis Children's Hospital Records
- Saint Louis Children's Hospital Photographs
- Saint Louis Children's Hospital Photographs and Negatives
- Saint Louis Children's Hospital Photographs and Contact Sheets
- Saint Louis Children's Hospital Structures Photographs
- Blair, Apolline, St. Louis Children's Hospital Professor of Surgery, Vertical File
- Ridge Farm, Valley Park, Missouri St. Louis Children's Hospital, Vertical File
- Helen E. Nash Oral History
- Marriott, W. McKim, Vertical File
- David Goldring Oral History
- Nash, Helen E., Vertical File
- Pediatrics, WUSM Department of, vertical files, 1970-1979, Vertical File
- Pediatrics, WUSM Department of, vertical files, pre-1970, Vertical File
- Pediatrics, WUSM Department of, vertical files, 1990-1999, Vertical File
- Pediatrics, WUSM Department of, vertical files, 1984-89, Vertical File
- Tuttle, George Marvine, Vertical File
- Veeder, Borden S., Vertical File
- David Goldring Photographs and Certificates
- Park J. White Papers
Rules or conventions
"Describing Archives: A Content Standard, Second Edition (DACS), 2013."
© Copyright 2019 Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives. All rights reserved.