Name and location of repository
Level of description
Neurology and Neurological Surgery Department Records
- 1950-1984 (Creation)
12.00 Linear Feet
Name of creator
Although now separated into standalone departments within the Washington University School of Medicine, neurology and neurosurgery came together as one department in 1974 when the neurosurgery division of the school's surgery department joined the neurology department. During this time, the department had two chairmen. William Landau, MD remained head of neurology, and Sidney Goldring, MD became head of neurosurgery. The two served as co-chair of the newly named Department of Neurology and Neurological Surgery. The arrangement of having two chairmen for the department lasted until 2002, when neurology and neurosurgery separated to become independent departments within the medical school.
Name of creator
Washington University's department of neurology became an independent department within the medical school in 1963 under chairman James O'Leary. Prior to that time, neurology had been a paired with several other departments within the university, including the former Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, the former Department of Neuropsychiatry, and as a division within the medicine department.
Name of creator
In 1910, Ernest Sachs, MD was recruited to Washington University to develop neurosurgery at the medical school. Although initially a member of the department of surgery, Sachs was named professor of neurosurgery in 1919, the first professorship in the world in this developing specialty. Sachs established a training program in neurosurgery at Barnes Hospital, which became an integral part of the development of this specialty in the United States.
In 1946, Sachs retired as chief of neurosurgery and was succeeded by Henry G. Schwartz, MD. Schwartz was a superb clinical surgeon who was extremely interested in the training of residents. He fostered strong ties to the neurology service and the basic neuroscience programs, and under his leadership, the neurosurgical program developed a strong commitment to basic and clinical research. Many of his trainees continued in academic neurosurgery and became leaders in the specialty.
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions governing access
The collection is open and accessible for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
Users of the collection should read and abide by the Rights and Permissions guidelines at the Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives.
Users of the collection who wish to cite items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication must request, sign, and return a Statement of Use form to the Archives.
For detailed information regarding use of this collection, contact the Archives and Rare Book Department of the Becker Library (email@example.com).
Item description, Reference Code, Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives, Washington University in St. Louis.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Immediate source of acquisition
Transfer, 22 November 2010, Dr. Robert L. Grubb, Professor of Neurological Surgery, Department of Neurology and Neurological Surgery (2010-035 Neurology and Neurological Surgery Department Records)
Transfer, 22 April 2009, Dr. Robert L. Grubb, Professor of Neurological Surgery, Department of Neurology and Neurological Surgery (2009-026 5 DVDs )
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
- Stein Professorship of Neurology Photographs
- Child Neurology, WUSM Division of, Vertical File
- Gitt, Joseph J., Visiting Professor of Neurology, Vertical File
- Jones, Andrew B. and Gretchen P., Professorship in Neurology, Vertical File
- Stein Professorship of Developmental Neurology, Vertical File
- Stupp, Norman J., Endowed Chair in Neurology, Vertical File
- Choi, Dennis W., Vertical File
- Clifford, David B., Vertical File
- Holtzman, David M., Vertical File
- O'Leary, James L., Prize for Research in Neuroscience, Vertical File
- Schwartz, Henry G., Lectureship, Vertical File
- Bishop, George H., Lecture, Vertical File
- Thomas A. Woolsey Oral History
- Neurology and Neurological Surgery, WUSM Department of, vertical files, 1990-1999, Vertical File
- Neurology and Neurological Surgery, WUSM Department of, vertical files, 1970-1979, Vertical File
- Neurology and Neurological Surgery, WUSM Department of, vertical files, 1980-1983, Vertical File
- Neurology and Neurological Surgery, WUSM Department of, vertical files, 1984-89, Vertical File
- Neurology and Neurological Surgery, WUSM Department of, vertical files, 2000-2010, Vertical File
- Neurology and Neurological Surgery, WUSM Department of, vertical files, pre-1970, Vertical File
- Neurology, WUSM Department of, Lectures, Vertical File
- Schwab, Sidney I., Vertical File
- Woolsey, Thomas A., Vertical File
- Sidney Goldring Reprints
- Goldring, Sidney, Vertical File
- Henry G. Schwartz Papers
- Henry G. Schwartz Photographs
- Schwartz, Henry G., Vertical File
- William M. Landau Papers
- Landau, William M., Vertical File
- William M. Landau Oral History (OH090)
- William M. Landau Oral History (OH107)
- Landau, William M., Lectureship, Vertical File
- Sidney I. Schwab Lecture Notes
- James L. O'Leary Papers
- O'Leary, James L., Vertical File
- James L. O'Leary Photographs and Certificates
- George H. Bishop Papers
- George H. Bishop Oral History
- George H. Bishop Photographs and Drawings
- George H. Bishop Instruments
- Bishop, George H., Vertical File
Rules or conventions
"Describing Archives: A Content Standard, Second Edition (DACS), 2013."
© Copyright 2019 Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives. All rights reserved.