Name and location of repository
Level of description
Psychiatry Department Records
2.00 Linear Feet
Name of creator
Washington University's department of psychiatry originated from the medical school's department of medicine. Dr. Sidney Schwab served as the head of the neurology and psychiatry from 1918-1938, but during this time, it remained a division within internal medicine.
An independent department of neuropsychiatry was created in 1938 when David M. Rioch, MD was appointed the first head in 1938. Edwin Gildea, MD became head of the department in 1942, becoming the first Wallace and Lucille K. Renard Professor of Psychiatry at the university. The Renards also provided funding for the construction of Renard Hospital, a 100-bed hospital dedicated to the care of psychiatrically ill patients, which opened in 1955 on the university’s medical campus.
When Gildea stepped down as head of the department in 1963, Eli Robins, MD became department head. Gildea, along with Samuel Guze and George Winokur developed an approach to psychiatry that became known as the "medical model." At a time when psychoanalysis dominated the field of psychiatry in the United States, the Washington University psychiatry faculty were strong proponents of this new approach based on the belief that the scientific method was the appropriate vehicle for advancing the field.
Samuel Guze, MD took over the chairmanship of the department in 1975. Guze became one of the most influential figures in American psychiatry, leading the development of criteria-based diagnoses that became DSM-III. Under Guze's leadership, many talented psychiartists served on faculty in the department including Paula Clayton, Lee N. Robins, Joan Luby, C. Robert Cloninger, Eugene Rubin, Robert Woodruff, and Richard Hudgens.
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions governing access
The collection is open and accessible for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
Users of the collection should read and abide by the Rights and Permissions guidelines at the Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives.
Users of the collection who wish to cite items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication must request, sign, and return a Statement of Use form to the Archives.
For detailed information regarding use of this collection, contact the Archives and Rare Book Department of the Becker Library (email@example.com).
Item description, Reference Code, Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives, Washington University in St. Louis.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
- Child Psychiatry, WUSM Division of, Vertical File
- Couch, Gregory B., Chair in Psychiatry, Vertical File
- Eliot, William Greenleaf, Clinic, WUSM Division of Child Psychiatry, Vertical File
- Robins, Eli, Lectureship in Psychiatry, Vertical File
- Gildea, Edwin F., Vertical File
- Gildea, Edwin F., Lecture, Vertical File
- Guze, Samuel B., Visiting Lectureship, Vertical File
- Clayton, Paula J., Vertical File
- Cloninger, C. Robert, Vertical File
- Luby, Joan L., Vertical File
- Samuel B. Guze Oral History (OH065)
- Samuel B. Guze Oral History (OH066)
- Samuel B. Guze Oral History (OH102)
- Psychiatry, WUSM Department of, vertical files, 1970-1979, Vertical File
- Psychiatry, WUSM Department of, vertical files, 1984-89, Vertical File
- Psychiatry, WUSM Department of, vertical files, pre-1970, Vertical File
- Psychiatry, WUSM Department of, vertical files, 1990-1999, Vertical File
- Psychiatry, WUSM Department of, vertical files, general histories, Vertical File
- Psychiatry, WUSM Department of: Stern, Robert, Vertical File
- Rioch, David McKenzie., Vertical File
- Robins, Eli, Vertical File
- Robins, Lee N., Vertical File
- Rubin, Eugene H., Vertical File
- Schwab, Sidney I., Vertical File
- Woodruff, Robert A., Jr., Vertical File
- Psychiatry, WUSM Department of, vertical files, 2000-2010, Vertical File
- Sidney I. Schwab Lecture Notes
- Samuel B. Guze Papers
- Guze, Samuel B., Vertical File
- Eli Robins Papers
- Richard W. Hudgens Papers
- Richard W. Hudgens Oral History
- Hudgens, Richard W., Vertical File
- Lee N. Robins Papers
- Lee N. Robins Photographs
Rules or conventions
"Describing Archives: A Content Standard, Second Edition (DACS), 2013."
© Copyright 2019 Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives. All rights reserved.