Collection RG047 - Medical Fund Society Records


Reference code


Level of description



Medical Fund Society Records



0.50 Linear Feet

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Medical Fund Society was founded in March 9, 1872 by the faculty of St. Louis Medical College. The Society's immediate purpose was to accumulate funds for the purchase of college property from the estate of Charles Alexander Pope, the noted early dean who had received it as a gift from his wealthy father-in-law, John O'Fallon. The college, like many medical schools of the time, was an independent proprietary medical school, having separated in 1855 from its parent institution, St. Louis University. For many years thereafter, each member of the faculty loaned his share of proceeds from medical school lectures to the fund. Thus the property of St. Louis Medical College at 7th and Myrtle Streets came to be held in a trust that was separate from the academic administration.

In 1891, St. Louis Medical College became designated the Medical Department of Washington University. A new building was constructed for it in 1892 to replace the old Pope-O'Fallon property, which was sold and demolished. In 1899, a competing institution, Missouri Medical College, merged into this department. The Society continued to function through these changes as a landlord and was the organization that leased the Missouri Medical College properties after the merger. The properties were sold by the Society to the University in 1912. The Society continued as a charitable organization for the benefit of medical education at the University.

Scope and content

The records consist of the 1919 published history of the society and a ledger. The ledger contains the incorporation papers, bylaws, and meeting minutes. The overall significance of the ledger is to show the continuity of private ownership from times substantially antedating the University connection through to the period when the present medical campus was being planned.

Medical Fund Society meetings were held quarterly in January, April, July, and October until 1913. The April meeting was the annual meeting. Prior to 1913, the principal subject of the meetings was the ownership and maintenance of the instructional and clinical buildings. With its landlord function dissolved, meetings were held less frequently. The last entries were made in 1950, when the Society ceased operations.

System of arrangement

Conditions governing access

The collection is open and accessible for research.

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Users of the collection should read and abide by the Rights and Permissions guidelines at the Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives.

Users of the collection who wish to cite items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication must request, sign, and return a Statement of Use form to the Archives.

For detailed information regarding use of this collection, contact the Archives and Rare Book Department of the Becker Library (

Preferred Citation:

Item description, Reference Code, Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives, Washington University in St. Louis.

Languages of the material

  • English

Scripts of the material

  • Latin

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Custodial history

Transferred to the Archives by M. Kenton King, M.D., Danforth Professor and former dean, December 30, 1994. Accession 1995-021.

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information


Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Rules or conventions

"Describing Archives: A Content Standard, Second Edition (DACS), 2013."

Sources used

Archivist's note

© Copyright 2019 Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives. All rights reserved.

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places