Name and location of repository
Level of description
Jones, Andrew B., Vertical File
- 1980-1981 (Creation)
0.02 Linear Feet
Name of creator
Andrew B. Jones was born in 1890 in Tennessee, and earned his M.D. degree at Vanderbilt University in 1916. He completed a medical internship under George Dock in 1919 and served as a neurology resident under Sidney I. Schwab in 1920. From 1921-1922 Jones served as a resident in psychiatry at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. He then returned to Washington University School of Medicine to join the faculty, where he taught neurology and psychiatry until his retirement from active practice in 1965.
During the 1930s, Jones made a special study of the encephalitis outbreak in St. Louis, and published several articles on the subject. He was the chief of the encephalitis section of Barnes Hospital during World War II, and also served as a psychiatric consultant to the Selective Service Agency of Eastern Missouri. He was associated with numerous professional organizations during his career, including the American Psychiatric Association and the American Academy of Neurology. In 1980, Andrew B. Jones and his wife Gretchen endowed a Professorship of Neurology at Washington University School of Medicine. Jones passed away in 1981.
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions governing access
The Vertical File Collection is open and accessible for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
Users of the collection should read and abide by the Rights and Permissions guidelines at the Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives.
Users of the collection who wish to cite items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication must request, sign, and return a Statement of Use form to the Archives.
For detailed information regarding use of this collection, contact the Archives and Rare Book Department of the Becker Library (email@example.com).
Item description, Reference Code, Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives, Washington University in St. Louis.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
See also Jacques J. Bronfenbrenner files.
- Washington University School of Medicine Outlook Magazine, Spring 1981, Page 25.
- Washington University School of Medicine Outlook Magazine, Autumn 1981, Page 24.
- Barnes Hospital Bulletin, January 1977, Page 2.
- Barnes Hospital Bulletin, August 1981, Page 7.
- Washington University School of Medicine Bulletin, September 1921, in Medical Society's 75th Meeting, Pages 4, 7.
- Washington University School of Medicine Bulletin, November 1925, in Medical Society's 111th Meeting, Page 1.
- Washington University School of Medicine Bulletin, November 1927, in Medical Society's 125th Meeting, Page 4..
- Washington University Record, December 2, 1976, Page 1.
- Washington University Record, December 18, 1980, Page 1.
- Andrew B. Jones Papers
Rules or conventions
"Describing Archives: A Content Standard, Second Edition (DACS), 2013."
© Copyright 2019 Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives. All rights reserved.
Place access points
Name access points
- Jones, Andrew B. (Subject)