Showing 346 results

Authority record
Corporate body

University of Virginia Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • Founded 1901

University of Virginia Hospital (1901-present) ... is a part of a larger entity known variously as the University of Virginia Medical Center (1962?-1987?); University of Virginia Health Sciences Center (1988?-1998); University of Virginia Health System (1998- )).

Email from UVA, Jan. 10, 2006 URI: http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/no2006003658

Washington University Medical Center

  • Corporate body
  • 1972-

The Washington University Medical Center (WUMC) was incorporated in 1962 and was originally known as Washington University Medical School and Associated Hospitals. As of March 14, 1972, the organization was renamed Washington University Medical Center. The major institutions that make up the WUMC incude: Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Center for Advanced Medicine, Central Institute for the Deaf, Goldfarb School of Nursing at Barnes-Jewish College, St. Louis Children's Hospital, St. Louis College of Pharmacy, Washington University School of Medicine.

Jewish Hospital of St. Louis

  • n86000367
  • Corporate body
  • 1903-1993

In 1902, The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis opened at 5415 Delmar Boulevard. Prior attempts to create such a hospital had cited the need to care for the poor Jewish refugees of St. Louis; however, when the Jewish Hospital become a reality, it did so under the directive to afford care to the sick and disabled of, "any creed or nationality." By 1905, additions to the original hospital building were already required to accommodate more patients, marking the first in a long line of expansions the Jewish Hospital would undergo over the years.

By 1915, the hospital was treating close to 2,000 patients annually. The following years made it clear that further expansion was needed, and in 1920 the hospital purchased land on Kingshighway Boulevard for the purpose of erecting a larger hospital building. The Delmar location was sold, and, following years of construction and funding campaigns, the hospital at 216 South Kingshighway Boulevard was dedicated in May 1926. By the end of 1927, the new building's first full year in operation, the hospital had treated 5,146 patients. In 1951, a plan was finalized which provided for the integration of three St. Louis Jewish health agencies into what would become the Jewish Hospital Medical Center. The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis merged its operations with those of the Jewish Sanatorium, the Miriam Rosa Bry Convalescent-Rehabilitation Hospital of St. Louis, and the Jewish Medical Social Service Bureau. To accommodate the operations and patients of these health agencies, the Jewish Hospital was required to expand at its Kingshighway location. A building expansion program which included the addition of two new buildings and a six-story wing created room for the patients of the three other agencies to be moved to the newly named Jewish Hospital Medical Center in 1956.

Over its years of growth, Jewish Hospital and its staff have achieved several medical firsts, including performing the first successful in vitro fertilization in Missouri in 1985 and creating the first major in-patient child psychiatric service in the St. Louis area in 1958. When Washington University Medical School and Associated Hospitals (WUMSAH) was formed in 1962, Jewish Hospital was one of the original participating institutions, and in 1963 Jewish Hospital became a major teaching affiliate of Washington University Medical School.

In November 1992, Barnes and Jewish Hospitals signed an affiliation agreement, agreeing to pool resources wherever possible. This affiliation agreement was completed in March 1993 to create Barnes-Jewish, Incorporated (BJI). In April of 1993, BJI and Christian Health Services announced that they would affiliate to create BJC Health System, an affiliation which was finalized in June 1993. In January of 1996, a merger of Barnes and Jewish Hospital, built on the sharing of resources which began with the completion of the affiliation agreement in 1993, was legally completed, and the two became the present day Barnes-Jewish Hospital. Barnes-Jewish Hospital is consistently ranked among the best hospitals in America by U.S. News and World Report.

Program in Physical Therapy, Washington University School of Medicine

  • Corporate body
  • 1941-

Founded in 1941 as the Barnes Hospital School for Physical Therapy Technicians, the Program in Physical Therapy at Washington University School of Medicine began the following year as a six-month program directed by an orthopedic surgeon to train therapists to treat soldiers in World War II. Starting with a class size of only seven, the Program embarked upon training students dedicated to the care of patients exhibiting movement dysfunction and, through the research of its faculty, new understanding of human movement and the conditions that affect human performance.

In 1948, the school began educating physical therapists at the baccalaureate level as part of Washington University School of Medicine. By 1980, the educational vision of the Program expanded to include post-professional education for graduate students possessing a baccalaureate degree in physical therapy. With the development of the Master of Health Science degree, practicing clinicians pursued advanced education to enhance their knowledge and skills in clinical practice, and to apply the research process to questions of professional interest. In response to continuous change in health care and higher education, the faculty began educating professional, entry-level physical therapists at the post-baccalaureate (master's degree) level in 1988. The Doctor of Philosophy was inaugurated in 1989, fulfilling the faculty's long-range goal of serving the profession with an interdisciplinary program to train researchers in movement science. During the 1980s, the Program assumed the direction of the Irene Walter Johnson Institute of Rehabilitation and in the 1990s expanded to run other physical therapy clinics of the Medical Center.

In 1999, the Program was granted approval by Washington University to offer a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) at both the professional and post-professional levels. The two new clinical doctorate programs replaced the Master of Science in Physical Therapy and the Master of Health Science (MHS). With the transition to the DPT, the Program equipped students to manage the changing needs of the healthcare environment and the growing responsibilities of the profession. In its first sixty years, more than 1500 students graduated from the Program.

St. Louis Children's Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1879-

St. Louis Children's Hospital was founded in 1879 and is the oldest pediatric hospital west of the Mississippi River and the 7th oldest in the United States. St. Louis Children's Hospital (SLCH) opened in 1879 at 2834 Franklin Avenue, in a small building which could admit just 15 patients. Created through the efforts of a group of St. Louis women and homeopathic doctors, SLCH was one of the first hospitals dedicated to the care of children in the United States. Within five years of opening, a new, larger hospital building was constructed at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Adams Street in 1884. The hospital's growth continued as it affiliated with another children's hospital, the Martha Parsons Free Hospital for Children (previously the Augusta Free Hospital for Children), in 1910.

A large gift to fund a new hospital building and an affiliation agreement with Washington University prompted the hospital to move again in 1915. This new building was located at 500 South Kingshighway Boulevard near the new Barnes Hospital and the Washington University School of Medicine campus. SLCH would move once again just one block north to a new building at 400 South Kingshighway Boulevard in 1984. Throughout its years of operation, SLCH has shared staff, building space, and in other ways partnered with other local institutions including Barnes Hospital, Jewish Hospital, and St. Louis Maternity Hospital. In 1994, SLCH signed a merger agreement with BJC Health System.

Over the course of its history, SLCH has continually grown, offering new services and admitting more patients. From the two initial patients which the hospital admitted in 1879, total patient admissions at the main hospital building grew to 76 admissions in 1885; 1,800 admissions in 1915; 3,987 admissions in 1942; 7,360 admissions in 1977; and 15,500 admissions in 2009. The $551.34 of cash on hand which the hospital reported in 1879 had grown to net revenue of $4,556,000 in 1983, just before the hospital moved to its new 400 South Kingshighway building.

St. Louis Children's Hospital has achieved worldwide, national, and regional medical innovations and firsts, and provides national and regional leadership in multiple medical specialties. Among these achievements is the first treatment of a diabetic child using insulin in the United States in 1922. SLCH is consistently ranked among the best pediatric hospitals in the United States by U.S. News and World Report.

Library and Biomedical Communications Center, Washington University School of Medicine

  • Corporate body
  • 1987-1995

In 1987, the Washington University School of Medicine Library changed its name to Library and Biomedical Communications Center. This name appeared on brochures , acquisition lists and other publications. The Biomedical Communications Center was apparently a separate division within the Library. More information may be in the Vertical file , the Bulletin, and the Library Newsletter. In 1995, the Library was renamed the Bernard Becker Medical Library in honor of Bernard Becker and his wife Janet Becker, who were important supporters of the library and in the new building constructed in 1989.

Washington University School of Medicine Library

  • Corporate body
  • 1911-

Established in 1911, Washington University School of Medicine's Library is one of the oldest and most comprehensive medical libraries west of the Mississippi. The library was renamed in honor of Bernard Becker, professor emeritus and emeritus head of the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, in May 1995.

Bernard Becker Medical Library

  • nr97028371
  • Corporate body
  • 1995-

In 1995, the Washington University School of Medicine Library was renamed the Bernard Becker Medical Library in honor of Dr. Becker, who chaired the committee that oversaw design and construction of the Washington University Medical Library.

Lucille P. Markey Charitable Trust

  • n89638097
  • Corporate body

When Mrs. Markey died on July 24, 1982, the Lucille P. Markey Charitable Trust was incorporated as a Florida nonprofit organization with 501(c)(3) status. The initial meeting of the Board of Trustees occurred in October 1983, and the Trust's Miami office opened on January 1, 1984. The trust completed all activities on June 15, 1997) http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n89638097

Results 1 to 20 of 346