August W. Geise (1930-1997), neurosurgeon, received his medical degree from Washington University School of Medicine in 1956.
August W. Geise (1930-1997), neurosurgeon, received his medical degree from Washington University School of Medicine in 1956.
John D. Davidson was born 1927. He received his medical degree from the Washington University School of Medicine in 1952. In 1957, he joined the clinical faculty of the school. Davidson became director of the Division of Hyperbaric Medicine, St. Luke’s Hospital, in 1974.
Melvin A. Roblee graduated from the Washington University School of Medicine in 1925 and afterward served as clinical professor of obstetrics and gynecology.
John E. Hobbs graduated from the Washington University School of Medicine in 1927 and later served as clinical professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University.
Axel N. Arneson received his medical degree from Washington University School of Medicine in 1928 then completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Barnes Hospital. Arneson became a world-renowned pioneer in the use of radium and external radiation in the treatment of cancer of the cervix and uterine body. He also served as a professor of obstetrics and gynecology and of therapeutic radiology at Washington University School of Medicine.
Albert E. Taussig, a physician and internist was born on May 6, 1871 in Missouri to Joseph Taussig (born Austria) and Mary (Cuno) Taussig (born Missouri). He married to Harriet (Learned) Taussig in 1903 and the couple had one son Joseph Bondy Taussig. .
Albert E. Taussig, brother of Frederick A. Taussig, M.D.; graduated from Harvard University with an A. B in 1891 and with an M.D. in 1894 from the Medical Department of Washington University. A.E. Taussig was clinical Professor of medicine in Medical Department of Washington University and a member of staff of St. Luke's Hospital. His office and residence was 3519 Washington Avenue, St Louis, Missouri.
Find a Grave Memorial 140412614
Source citation: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/140412614/albert-e_-taussig
William M. Landau was born just a few blocks from Washington University in 1924. He started college at the University of Chicago in 1941, but the United States' entry into World War II accelerated his college career, and after just two years, he returned to St. Louis to begin medical studies at Washington University School of Medicine. He was 18. Landau completed medical school in 1947 and joined the neurology faculty in 1954. He was named professor emeritus 58 years later and continued conducting research into his 90s.
Landau was a professor of neurology at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis from 1954 to 2012 and served as head of the Department of Neurology from 1970 to 1991. He was the longest-serving faculty member at the School of Medicine. Landau specialized in movement disorders such as Parkinson's disease, but his interests ranged widely. With Frank Kleffner, PhD, of the Central Institute of the Deaf, he identified and described Landau-Kleffner syndrome, a rare disorder in which children lose the ability to speak and respond to language. He also studied how patients fared who were revived with CPR after their hearts had stopped beating, and concluded that the risk of severe, debilitating brain damage was underappreciated. He advocated for more limited use of the procedure.
Louis T. Byars received his medical degree from Washington University School of Medicine in 1932. He was a professor of clinical surgery at Washington University School of Medicine and an associate surgeon at Barnes and St. Louis Children's Hospital. Byars was a specialist in reconstructive and plastic surgery who consulted in plastic surgery for the Veterans Administration.
James Barrett Brown was a St. Louis-based plastic surgeon who revolutionized the field with his pioneering use of large split-thickness skin grafts to resurface defects. Brown is also known for his 1954 publication on radical neck dissection, Neck Dissections, and for his work on organizing high-quality plastic surgery to injured soldiers in WWII.
Brown received both his undergraduate and medical education at Washington University in St. Louis, completed in 1923. He then studied surgical training at Barnes Hospital under Evarts Graham and Vilray Blair. Blair's work with head and neck cancer inspired Brown to work in the same practice, sparking a partnership that lasted from 1925 to Blair's death in 1955. Brown focused his research on skin grafts, which had been cut freehand prior to his demonstration in the 1930s that when cut thicker and larger, skin grafts still healed well at the donor site. This revolutionized the established principles of skin graft, which required great skill to carry out, leading to wide ramifications throughout the entire field of surgery especially thermal burn surgery. When mechanical and electric dermatomes were introduced, the cutting of skin grafts became more precise and required less skill and practice for the surgeon.
Brown's research culminated in the authorship of more than 300 articles and 60 book chapters on facial surgery, plastic surgery, oral surgery, skin grafting, thermal burn care, and neck dissection. In addition to his academic career, Brown's work in soldier care was significant. He helped organize facilities for reconstructive surgery for soldiers in England during WWII, and was instrumental in establishing plastic surgery centers in the United States for returning casualties. Brown directed one center at Valley Forge, PA, where over 2,500 patients were treated. Brown's leadership also spread to the medical community, having co-founded the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and served in leadership roles for the American College of Surgeons, the American Association of Plastic Surgeons and the Western Surgical Association.
Jessie L. Ternberg, PhD, MD, received her undergraduate degree from Grinnell College in 1946 and her doctorate in biochemistry from University of Texas in 1950. During her time at Texas, she and Robert Eakin discovered the mechanism by which the vitamin B-12 is absorbed in the intestine. She received her medical degree from Washington University in 1953 and interned at Boston City Hospital after graduation. Ternberg returned to Washington University for her research fellowship and surgery residency at Barnes Hospital becoming the first female resident in surgery at Barnes Hospital and Washington University. She joined the faculty in 1959 as an instructor of surgery, eventually reaching full professorship in 1971 as professor of surgery and associate professor of surgery in pediatrics. She was the first female surgeon on the faculty of the Washington University School of Medicine. In 1972, Ternberg was appointed as the chief of the newly created Division of Pediatric Surgery. She was the first woman to be elected head of the faculty council. On her retirement in 1996 she was made professor emerita of surgery and surgery in pediatrics.
Throughout her career, Ternberg made significant contributions to medicine in her research. Her best-known study is the appliance of electron spin resonance spectrometry to the investigation of free radicals. She also published A Handbook of Pediatric Surgery in 1980, which became a standard reference book for doctors due to its emphasis that children must be treated different from adults since diseases take different form in adolescents. Ternberg received wide recognition, including awards such as the Washington University Alumni Award, the International Women's Year Award for Health Care, the St. Louis Globe-Democrat Woman of Achievement Award and membership in Alpha Omega Alpha. Washington University School of Medicine established the Jessie L. Ternberg Award in 1998, which is given annually to a female medical school graduate who best exemplifies Ternberg's "indomitable spirit of determination, perseverance and dedication to her patients."
Lauren Vedder Ackerman was born in Auburn, New York in 1905. In 1927, he received a bachelor's degree from Hamilton College in Clinton, New York. He received his medical degree at the University of Rochester in 1932. In 1942, following residences in California and Massachusetts, he became Chief of Laboratories at Ellis Fischel State Cancer Hospital in Columbia, Missouri. He would become the medical director of that institution.
In 1948, he was appointed professor of pathology at Washington University School of Medicine where he taught for 25 years. He also served as the director of the school's Division of Surgical Pathology and as pathologist-in-chief at Barnes Hospital. Later in his career, he joined the faculty at the State University of New York at Stony Brook in 1973.
Dr. Ackerman contributed more than 200 papers and abstracts and wrote several textbooks that are standards in the pathology field. In 1947, he co-authored Cancer: Diagnosis, Treatment and Prognosis. He later wrote Surgical Pathology in 1953 which set the standard for the practice of that specialty. He was credited with establishing surgical pathology as a separate medical specialty that involves the diagnosis of disease based on surgical biopsies. He died in 1993 at the age of 88 in New York.
Dr. Edward Wheeler Dempsey was Dean of the Washington University School of Medicine from 1958-1964. Dr. Dempsey served during a turbulent time when the medical school administration was involved in a dispute with the strong-willed president of the Board of Trustees of Barnes Hospital, Edgar Monsanto Queeny. At the time, it was feared by some observers that a schism would result between the two institutions that would threaten the continued growth of the medical school.
Dr. Dempsey was a graduate of Marietta College (Marietta, Ohio) and received master of science and doctor of philosophy degrees in biology from Brown University. He was a member of the faculty of the Harvard Medical School from 1938 until coming to Washington University as Professor and Head of the Department of Anatomy in 1950. He continued as Head of Anatomy after being named Dean, and retained that appointment until 1966.
In 1964, Dr. Dempsey resigned from the deanship to serve in President Lyndon B. Johnson's administration as Special Assistant to the Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare. Upon his return from Washington in 1966, he was appointed to the Chair of Anatomy at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University. He later served as a visiting professor at Stanford University. The many honors given to Dr. Dempsey and the offices he held in professional organizations are detailed in this collection.
Hugh M. Chaplin, Jr. was an emeritus professor of medicine and pathology best known for his work in hematology. Chaplin received his medical degree from Columbia University in 1947 and joined the faculty of Washington University School of Medicine in 1955. He remained at the medical school until 1991, during which time he served as an associate dean, director of the Student Health Service, and director of the Irene Walter Johnson Institute of Rehabilitation.
Henry Gerard Schwartz (1909-1998) is remembered as one most important and influential American figures in the field of neurosurgery. His primary research interests were focused in anatomy, surgery, and physiology of the nervous system. Dr. Schwartz made important clinical contributions to neurosurgery in pain, intracranial aneurysms, and pituitary and cerbellopontine angle tumors. He designed one of the first spring vascular clips for aneurysm surgery and refined open surgical techniques for cervical cordotomy.
Born in New York City on March 11, 1909, he obtained a bachelor's degree in 1928 from Princeton University. He then earned a medical degree from Johns Hopkins University in 1932. Dr. Schwartz began his career as a surgical house officer at Johns Hopkins. He then studied anatomy and neuroanatomy at Harvard University for three years as a National Research Council fellow. Upon completion of his fellowship, he served as an anatomy instructor at Harvard Medical School before joining Washington University School of Medicine in 1936.
Dr. Schwartz spent the larger part of his career at Washington University, serving in a number of different positions: Fellow in Neurosurgery (1936-1937), Instructor (1937-1942), Assistant Professor in Neurosurgery (1942-1945), Associate Professor (1945-1946), Professor (1946-1970), Chairman of the Division of Neurological Surgery (1946-1974), and August A. Busch, Jr. Professor of Neurological Surgery (1970-1985). In addition to his academic appointments, Dr. Schwartz was acting Surgeon-in-Chief at Barnes Hospital from 1965 to 1967 and Chief Neurosurgeon at Barnes and St. Louis Children's Hospital from 1946 to 1974. As a well-respected educator, his training program attracted many talented students to Washington University.
During World War II, Dr. Schwartz served as Assistant Chief of Surgery and Chief of Neurosurgery in the U.S. Army's 21st General Hospital. During his service, he developed a method for handling wounds to the head and nerves that became standard procedure for the military. For this accomplishment, he received the prestigious Legion of Merit in 1945. Dr. Schwartz was honored numerous times throughout his career for his contributions to neurosurgery. Among his many other awards are the Harvey Cushing Medal from the American Association of Neurological Surgeons and the Distinguished Service Award from the American Board of Neurological Surgery.
In 1985, Dr. Schwartz was elected Honorary President of the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies. He also served as Chairman of the American Board of Neurological Surgery (1968-1970) and as President of the Southern Neurosurgical Society (1952-1953), the American Academy of Neurological Surgeons (1967-1968), and the Society of Neurological Surgeons (1968-1969).
Dr. Donald L. Thurston, 77 a prominent pediatrician, who practiced in St. Louis for half a century died in December 1988. Don L. Thurston, MD, was also a Washington University professor of pediatrics and a professor emeritus of pediatrics. He joined the faculty of the department of Pediatrics in 1947 and retired in 1979. He and his wife, Dr. Jean Holowach Thurston collaborated on multiple research projects in pediatric epilepsy based on cases at St. Louis Children's Hospital and the Pediatric Convulsive Clinic.
Donald Lionell Thurston earned a Bachelor of Science at Vanderbilt University in 1934 and also an M.D. From Vanderbilt University School in 1937. Jean Holowach and Donald L. Thurston met in the 1940s in the Department of Pediatrics at Washington University. They married in 1949.
During his long career he specialized in general prediatrics and treatment of allergies. He was also on the medical staff of St. Louis Children's Hospital where he retired in 1985?. He was a member for many years of the Missouri Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, serving as chairman from 1977-1985. He was director of the first Birth Defect Center at St. Louis Children's Hospital from 1964-1970.
Jean H. Thurston was a pediatric neurologist who worked at St. Louis Children's Hospital. She was been a pioneer in her field, particularly in the studies of childhood seizure disorders. She was among the first to perform the first systematic studies of anticonvulsant withdrawal in infants and children, and developed the guidelines that are used as the basis in present-day treatment.
Jean Holowach began her medical studies with an M.D. at the University of Alberta in Canada, but moved to St. Louis to complete her training with a fellowship in pediatrics at Washington University School of Medicine in 1945. Thurston became an instructor in the Department of Pediatrics in 1949, and was promoted to assistant professor in 1954 and associate professor in 1965. She finally reached full professorship in 1975, and also became a professor of neurology with the specialization of neurochemistry in 1982.
In addition to her career at Washington University, Thurston founded the Pediatric Convulstion Clinic in 1950 and served as its director for its first twelve years. She also served as a consultant for the State of Missouri Rheumatic Fever Program from 1949 to 1954 and directed the State of Missouri Premature Program from 1949 to 1961. Due to her numerous contributions to pediatric research, Thurston received the Fomon-Peterson Founders Award from the Midwest Society for Pediatric Research in 1990 and the lifetime achievement award from the Child Neurology Society in 2004.
Jean Holowach married Donald L. Thurston, M.D, in 1949. The two met in the 1945 in the Department of Pediatrics at Washington University. They were collaborators in many research projects.
Elijah S. Frazer (1809-1883) was a professor of obstetrics and diseases of women and children at Missouri Medical College. Born in Kentucky and resident in Springfield, Illinois in 1848 , he graduated ad endeum from the medical department of University of Missouri in 1848.
John B. Shapleigh (1857-1937) was the first chair of the Department of Otolaryngology at Washington University School of Medicine, serving from 1896 to 1923. Shapleigh earned his undergraduate and medical degrees from Washington University (1878) and St. Louis Medical College (1881). He first began his medical career as an assistant physician at City Hospital, but continued his studies in a post-graduate course on clincial otology in Vienna, Austria. In 1885, Shapleigh returned to St. Louis to establish a private practice and joined the faculty at the Medical Department of Washington University as professor and head of the Department of Otology. In 1901-1902, he was the dean of the faculty and was physician to St. Luke’s Hospital and the Protestant Hospital. Additionally, Shapleigh was on the staff of the Barnard Free Skin and Cancer Hospital, Deaconess Hospital, Barnes Hospital, and St. Louis Children's Hospital.
Shapleigh was president of the Medical Society of City Hospital Alumni and a member of the St. Louis Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the Missouri State Medical Association, the American Otological Society and the Academy of Medicine. After his death, his family gave a bequest in 1937 to support and maintain the Dr. John B. Shapleigh Library for the Otological Research Library within the Washington University School of Medicine.
John B. Shapleigh, II, MD graduated from Washington University School of Medicine in the Class of 1946. An instructor of clinical medicine at WUSM since 1949, he died Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2011, at Mari de Villa in Ballwin, Mo., of apparent complications from a respiratory infection. He was 89.
Dr. Shapleigh, known for his compassion was the son of Dorothy S. Shapleigh and banker Blaisdell Shapleigh. He was the grandson of Dr. John B. Shapleigh, 1857-1925, the first head of Otolaryngology at Washington University Medical School.
"In 1999, Dr. Shapleigh's work helped bring about the first free-standing hospice in the St. Louis area: de Greeff Hospice House at St. Anthony's Medical Center in south St. Louis County. The hospice had helped more than 3,000 terminally ill people, by 2011... In the 1970s, he and others started one of the first hospice programs in St. Louis, at the old St. Luke's Hospital on Delmar Boulevard. Dr. Shapleigh was medical director."
"Dr. Shapleigh graduated from Country Day School, Dartmouth College and Washington University Medical School before serving as a Navy doctor after World War II. He returned to St. Louis, where he practiced as an internist, hematologist (specialist in blood illnesses) and oncologist (cancer specialist) for nearly 50 years."
URI: https://beckerarchives.wustl.edu/IG006-S108-i76 ; https://source.wustl.edu/2011/10/shapleigh-instructor-of-clinical-medicine-89/ ; https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/obituaries/dr-john-b-shapleigh-dies-helped-bring-hospice-to-st-louis/article_3e55b524-5803-5961-a71a-51d61e7a02aa.html