Showing 45 results

Authority record
Bernard Becker Medical Library, Washington University in St. Louis

Bishop, George H.

  • Person
  • 1889-1973

George H. Bishop received his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin in 1919 and joined the faculty of Washington University School of Medicine in 1921. He held a variety of appointments, among them research associate and associate professor in the Department of Physiology (1921-1930), professor of applied physiology in the Department of Ophthalmology (1930-1932), professor of biophysics in the Neurophysiology Laboratory (1932-1947) and professor of neurophysiology in the Department of Neuropsychiatry (1947-1954). Dr. Bishop is remembered for his collaboration with Joseph Erlanger and Herbert S. Gasser in research on the properties of nerve fibers, for which the latter two received the 1944 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. Dr. Bishop is also well-known for his work in the development of electroencephalography as a diagnostic tool in the understanding of epilepsy.

Ronzoni, Ethel

  • Person
  • 1890-1975

Ethel or Ethyl Ronzoni was born in California to Silvio Ronzoni and Mary Espy in 1890. She was a chemist at the time of her marriage to George H. Bishop in 1922. She earned her BS from Mills College in 1913, her masters from Columbia University in 1914, and her Ph.D. in Physiology from Wisconsin in 1923. She was one of the first women to join the faculty of Washington University Medical School as Assistant Professor in 1923. She was promoted to Associate Professor in 1943. Her research was in muscle chemistry and steroid hormone. She retired in 1959.

Shank, Robert E.

  • Person
  • 1914-2000

Robert E. Shank (1914-2000) was a graduate of Washington University School of Medicine, Class of 1939, and a resident at Barnes Hospital (1939-1940) and at St. Louis Isolation Hospital (1941). In late 1941 he became an assistant in research and resident physician at the hospital of the Rockefeller Institute in New York. While retaining these positions, Shank entered the U.S. Navy in 1942 and was assigned to the hospital's Naval Research Unit. Returning to civilian life in 1946, he became an associate of the New York Public Health Research Institute. In 1948 Shank was called to his alma mater in 1948 to become Danforth Professor of Medicine and head of the Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health.

As head of Preventive Medicine, Shank brought a new research emphasis to his department, that being nutrition studies. He contributed to many projects in this specialty of national and international importance. He was particularly associated with the formation of standards for minimum dietary allowances by the National Research Council Food and Nutrition Board. He served as a consultant to the U.S. Public Health Service, the Interdepartmental Committee on Nutrition for National Defense, the Pan American Health Organization, and several food industry associations. Under his leadership, the scope of the department broadened to include work in rehabilitation, health maintenance organizations, biostatistics, applied physiology, and lipid research.

Shank became professor emeritus in 1981. He proved to be the last regular head of the department: after five years under interim leadership, Preventive Medicine and Public Health was discontinued in January 1987 and its faculty and programs assigned to other departments, notably Internal Medicine.

David P. Wohl, Jr., Memorial—Washington University Clinics

  • Corporate body
  • 1960-Present

Mrs. David P. Wohl and Chancellor Ethan A.H. Shepley laid the cornerstone for the David P. Wohl, Jr. Memorial Clinic, Washington University School of Medicine on November 2, 1960 (Creation). The Wohl Clinic dedication ceremony occurred in 1961 (Creation). In the 1978-1979 bulletin & 1995-1996 bulletin, the name of the clinic was still David P. Wohl, Jr., Memorial—Washington University Clinics. By 2000 the official name of the 10 story Wohl Clinics Building changed slightly with the addition of Outpatient to Washington University Outpatient Clinics. A shortened version is Wohl Clinic Building and Wohl Clinics.

In 2016, according to the Washington University School of Medicine bulletin, 2016-2017, the lower five floors of Wohl Clinic contained the Chromalloy American Kidney Dialysis Center, space for translational research and faculty & administrative offices. The upper five floors are devoted to research facilities for several departments of the School of Medicine. On March 30, 2020, Washington University Wohl Clinic is a group practice with 1 location at 4940 Childrens Pl.
Saint Louis, MO 63110. Currently, Washington University Wohl Clinic specializes in Cardiovascular Disease, Internal Medicine, Neurologist, Psychology and Psychiatry with 7 physicians.

Johnson, John B., 1817-1903

  • Person
  • 1817-1903

John B. Johnson (Bates) (1817-1903) was the first physician to be elected vice president of the American Medical Association. A Massachusetts native, Johnson received his undergraduate degree from Harvard University and his medical degree from Berkshire Medical College in 1840. Johnson settled in St. Louis in 1841 and soon gained prominence for establishing the first public dispensary west of the Mississippi River. He began his teaching career in 1846 at Kemper Medical College, which later became Missouri Medical College.

In 1850, Johnson was one of the organizers of the AMA, which he was voted as their inaugural vice president in the same year. He also was one of the founders of the Missouri State Medical Association, and served one term as president in 1852. The Medical Department of St. Louis University, hired him in 1854 to become the chair of principles and practice of medicine. In 1955 The Medical Department of St. Louis University became independent institution, the St. Louis Medical College. During the Civil War, he was a member of the United States Sanitary Commission and was influential in raising funds for the care of the sick and wounded soldiers. After the war, Johnson continued to practice medicine in St. Louis until his death in 1903.

Baumgarten family

  • Family
  • 1840-

The Baumgarten family was a German-American family who settled in St. Louis in 1850 and had great influence on the local medical profession with its members practicing medicine across four generations. It began with Frederick (1810-1869), and passed down through succeeding sons in the next three generations with Gustav (1837-1910), Walter Sr. (1873-1945), and Walter Jr. (1912-1980).

Born in Nordheim, Germany, Friedrich Ernst Baumgarten was a German-American physician who emigrated to the United States in the 1840s, settling in St. Louis in 1850. He received his medical degree from the University of Gottingen in 1831, and became a mining surgeon in in the town of Clausthal in the Harz Mountains. After earning another degree from the University of Jena in 1844, Friedrich became interested in the prospect of a better life in the United States. He left his family for Galveston, Texas and attempted to establish a medical practice there, but yellow fever epidemics pushed him to settle further north. In 1850, Friedrich (now known as Frederick) came to St. Louis and found it to his liking due to the growing German immigrant community, so he sent for his wife and children to move in with him. The family settled in 1851, and Frederick became an American citizen in 1852. However, his wife could not adjust to life in America so she soon moved back to Germany with their daughters while their son, Gustav, remained behind with his father. During his career in St. Louis, Frederick emphasized his medical interest in obstetrics, but carried on a successful practice with patients with a variety of backgrounds and medical afflictions. He was a founding member of the German Medical Society of St. Louis and participated in the St. Louis Medical Society, the St. Louis Academy of Science, and the Masonic Order.

The son of Frederick Baumgarten, Gustav joined his father with the rest of his family in St. Louis as a young teenager. He enrolled in E. Wyman's English and Classical High School. Like his father, Gustav was interested in medicine and earned a medical degree from St. Louis Medical College in 1856 with a thesis on nutrition. After graduating at 19 years old, he was not yet ready to practice medicine so he returned to his native country in 1857 to spend a year at the University of Gottingen in its Ernst-Augustus Hospital. Gustav also spent a year at the University of Berlin, working at nearby clinics and studying under Rudolph Virchow, the leading authority in cellular pathology at the time. He then spent a third year in Europe, studying at the University of Vienna and working at clinics in both Vienna and Prague. Upon his return to St. Louis, Gustav entered practice with his father, seeing patients at St. Louis Sisters of Charity and City Hospital. During the Civil War, he served as a naval surgeon in the Union Navy throughout the Gulf Coast and at the Memphis Naval Hospital. After the war, Gustav's German fiance joined him in St. Louis for marriage and family, raising three children as his medical practice took off. While he was a private physician for the rest of his career, Gustav was active in the local and national medical communities. He was a co-editor of the St. Louis Medical and Surgical Journal in 1866, contributed articles to the Reference Handbook of the Medical Sciences (1885), and served as president of the Association of American Physicians in 1899. In addition, Gustav joined the faculty at St. Louis Medical College in 1871 as a professor of physiology and medical jurisprudence and later professor of special pathology and therapeutics. He was a significant figure in the medical college's independence from St. Louis University in 1872 and its affiliation with Washington University in 1891, along with the college's merger with Missouri Medical College to become Washington University Medical Department in 1899-1900. He also served as the dean of the school during the merger. He passed down his medical practice to his son Walter in the early 1900s, and died in 1910 after a prolonged illness.

Walter Baumgarten, Sr. followed in his father's and grandfather's footsteps into medicine after earning an A.B. degree from Johns Hopkins University and a medical degree from St. Louis Medical College in 1896. Walter Sr. spent his early medical career throughout the country, serving assistantships at St. Louis City Hospital, Harvard University, and Johns Hopkins Medical School. In 1903, he returned to St. Louis to enter private practice at his father's medical practice and also began teaching in 1907 as a lecturer in chemistry and microscopy at Washington University. Walter Sr. became an instructor in medicine at Washington University in 1917 and remained in the position until 1943. He was a councilor of the Southern Medical Association, an editor of the Missouri State Medical Journal, a fellow in the American College of Physicians, and a member of various local and national medical societies. Walter Sr. married in 1910 and raised three children, but died in a fire at his home in 1945 while his elder son, Walter Jr., was returning from WWII.

As the fourth and final member of the Baumgarten family to practice medicine in St. Louis, Walter Jr., was a doctor of internal medicine from 1946 to his death in 1980. He graduated from John Burroughs School in St. Louis, and received his undergraduate and medical degrees from Washington University. Between 1939 and 1942, Walter Jr. served internships and residencies in St. Louis and Chicago. He then became a flight surgeon with the United States Army Air Force until August 1945. After WWII, Walter Jr. spent his medical career as a staff surgeon at St. Luke's and Barnes Hospitals, and taught clinical medicine at Washington University School of Medicine. Along with his work in surgery and medical education, Walter Jr. served as president of the St. Louis Heart Association and the Missouri Heart Association, and as the chairman of the social planning council of St. Louis Department of Health and Hospitals. In 1967, he became the head of the medical staff at St. Luke's Hospital, and helped establish a hospice for terminally ill patients at the hospital. Walter Jr. was also known for his passion in historic preservation, having acted as trustee for the Jefferson National Expansion Historical Association and a member of the Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works. He made the history of medicine and collection of rare medical texts a special field of study, and was a chairman of the Library for the St. Louis Medical Society, which named him as honorary curator in 1964.

Baumgarten, Joanna

  • Family
  • Born 28 March 1840-15 August 1916

When Johanna Ernestine Luise BAUMGARTEN was born on May 28, 1840, her father, Friedrich, was 30, and her mother, Louise, was 25. She married Karl Adolf Friedrich GREIFFENHAGEN on July 3, 1862, in Northeim, Lower Saxony, Germany. They had five children during their marriage. She died on August 15, 1916, in Einbeck, Lower Saxony, Germany, having lived a long life of 76 years.

Johanna Ernestine Luise BAUMGARTEN 1840–1916 https://www.ancestrylibrary.com/family-tree/person/tree/117212765/person/190161913419/story

Bose, Emil

  • Person
  • 20 Octobre 1874-

When Hermann Emil Bose was born on October 20, 1874, in Bremen, Germany, his father, Carl [Carl Bernhard Gustave Ernest Bose (1850-)], was 24 and his mother, [Johanna Louise Ernestine] Theodora [born Baumgarten], was 32. Emil earned a D. Phil and served in the military in Bremen from 1893-1899. He married Clara Elisabeth Egebrecht on August 15, 1900, in Bad Arolsen, Hesse, Germany. He then married Margrethe Elisabeth Hejberg on September 8, 1903, in Roskilde, Denmark.

Baumgarten, Theodora

  • Family
  • 3 Marz 1842-1910?

When Theodora BAUMGARTEN was born in 1842 in Clausthal, Germany, her father, Friedrich Ernst, was 32, and her mother, Louise, was 27. She had one brother, Gustav Baumgarten, MD (1837-1910), and one sister, Joanna (Johanna) Baumgarten Greiffenhagen (1840-1916). Gustav, Joanna and Theodora were in St. Louis, MO in Ward 3 for the 1850 United States Census. However Joanna and Theodora returned with their mother to their native Germany sometime before the 1860 United States Census. Johanne Ernestine Louise Theodore Baumgarten married Carl Bernhard Gustav Ernst Leopold Bose in Hannover, Lower Saxony, Germany, on November 9, 1873, when she was 31 years old. They had two male children during their marriage: Ludwig Bose and Hermann Emil Bose (born 1874 in Bremen, Germany). Photographs in the Baumgarten Family Photographs and Drawings show that Theodora Baumgarten Bose was photographed in Northeim, Germany in 1890 and in Nordhausen, Germany in 1900 and 1910 and that the Bose Family home was in Nordhausen, Germany in 1900 and 1910.

Csapo, Arpad I.

  • Person
  • 1918-1981

Arpad I. Csapo was a Hungarian-American professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Washington University School of Medicine in the 1960s and 1970s. He is best known for his research on the progesterone hormone in the physiology of uterine function. Csapo developed a series of experiments testing a theory that the hormone serves to block the contraction of muscles in the pregnant uterus. His work also identified that after the initial weeks of pregnancy in the human, the blocking action of the hormone progesterone shifts from the ovaries to the placenta and further proved that the placental progesterone exerts its action on the uterus through a local mechanism, thus explaining why twins can be born several weeks apart.

He was born in 1918 in Szeged, Hungary. He studied medicine at the University of Szeged and received his M.D. in 1943. Next, Csapo completed his residency at the Semmelweis Medical University in Budapest. The Nobel Prize-winning biochemist Albert Szent-Gyorgyi was a great influence on Csapo's career, leading him to become interested in laboratory science. Szent-Gyorgyi employed him in his laboratory, where he succeeded in isolating actin and myosin, proteins responsible for contractible properties of muscle. Throughout the late 1940s, Csapo served as a Mannheimer Fellow at the University of Uppsala in Sweden and completed a fellowship with the Carnegie Institution in Baltimore while lecturing in obstetrics at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. In 1956, he became an associate professor at Rockefeller University, where he later became the director of the Laboratory of the Physiology of Reproduction. In 1963, Csapo became professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Washington University, where he remained until his death in 1981.

During his career, Csapo was a prolific writer and promoted international cooperation in uterine physiology research. He published over two hundred articles and contributed chapters to several textbooks. From the 1950s onward, Csapo participated in various projects with Brazilian and Finnish colleagues. He obtained a grant from the U.S. Department of State in 1973, which funded an Advanced Technology Fertility Training Center at Washington University that trained more than 300 physicians from 57 countries for five years. Although he became a U.S. citizen in 1953, Csapo preserved his roots in Hungary, frequently visiting his native country and inviting Hungarian researchers to St. Louis. After his death, Csapo was honored in 1983 with the Michaelis Medallion, a prestigious German prize in obstetrics.

Skilling, David M.

  • Person
  • 1900-1981

David Miller Skilling was a Barnes/ Washington University physician who received his undergraduate degree from Washington and Jefferson College (Pennsylvania) in 1923 before earning his MD from Washington University in 1928. Upon graduation, he served as a fellow and instructor in pathology at the University of Colorado School of Medicine in Denver, Colorado. Dr. Skilling returned to St. Louis to serve as an Instructor in Clinical Medicine at the Washington University School of Medicine, a position he held from 1933 to 1973. A specialist in diseases of the chest, Dr. Skilling had staff appointments at a number of hospitals including Barnes Hospital (1937-), Deaconess, St. Luke's, Missouri Pacific, and Saint Mary on the Mount. Additionally, he was the medical director of the St. Louis Tuberculosis and Health Society.

Baumgarten, Frederick Ernst

  • Person
  • 1810-1869

Born in Nordheim, Germany, Friedrich Ernst Baumgarten was a German-American physician who emigrated to the United States in the 1840s, settling in St. Louis in 1850. He received his medical degree from the University of Gottingen in 1831, and became a mining surgeon in in the town of Clausthal in the Harz Mountains. After earning another degree from the University of Jena in 1844, Friedrich became interested in the prospect of a better life in the United States.

He left his family for Galveston, Texas and attempted to establish a medical practice there, but yellow fever epidemics pushed him to settle further north. In 1850, Friedrich (now known as Frederick) came to St. Louis and found it to his liking due to the growing German immigrant community, so he sent for his wife and children to move in with him. The family settled in 1851, and Frederick became an American citizen in 1852. However, his wife could not adjust to life in America so she soon moved back to Germany with their daughters while their son, Gustav, remained behind with his father.

During his career in St. Louis, Frederick emphasized his medical interest in obstetrics, but carried on a successful practice with patients with a variety of backgrounds and medical afflictions. He was a founding member of the German Medical Society of St. Louis and participated in the St. Louis Medical Society, the St. Louis Academy of Science, and the Masonic Order.

Baumgarten, Louise Beckmann

  • Family
  • born 1815

Louise Beckmann Baumgarten was born Amalie Louisa Bechman and lived in Nordheim Germany where she met Doctor Frederick Ernst Baumgarten (1810-1869) also of Nordheim. They had three children, Gustav (1837-1910) , Joanna (1840)and Theodora (1842-) Her youngest daughter, Theodora was born in Clausthal in 1842 according to the marriage record for her and her husband, Rev ? Bose in 1873. Louise and her children joined her husband in St. Louis in January 1850.

Cady, Lee D.

  • 06286555
  • Person
  • 1896-1987

Lee D. Cady was a physician who served on the Washington University and Baylor University Schools of Medicine staff, and served overseas for the U.S. in both WWI and WWII. Cady graduated from University of Missouri (A.B. 1918) and Washington University School of Medicine (A.M. 1921; M.D. 1922), and was a faculty member at Washington University (Departments of Medicine and Clinical Medicine) from 1925 to 1942. He did his internship and residency at Washington University, 1922-1925. During WWII, he was the commander of the 21st General Hospital, the hospital unit for Washington University in Rouen, France. Under his leadership, the base hospital cared for over 65,000 patients in the European theater of the war. For his medical service and assistance in the liberation of France, Cady received the French Croix de Guerre in 1945. The next year, he was appointed the director of medical services for the Veterans Administration in Dallas, presiding over the regional branches in Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Cady served in that position for thirteen years and later was appointed as the director of the Veterans Hospital in Houston. He passed away in 1987 and was buried with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetery.

Olmsted, William H.

  • Person
  • 1887-1978

William H. Olmsted (1887-1978) received his M.D. degree from Johns Hopkins University in 1913. He was an intern, 1913-1914 and resident and assistant resident, 1914-1917, at Barnes Hospital and afterwards served with Base Hospital 21, the medical unit sent by the hospital and WUSM to support American troops in World War 1. After the war, Olmsted re-joined the clinical faculty of the WUSM Department of Medicine, climbing the ladder from assistant in internal medicine to associate professor from 1915-1952.Olmsted became emeritus in 1952 .

In Barnes Hospital's first year of operation in 1914, Olmsted was the second medical resident to join the staff, along with acting as a clinical research pathologist, 1914. He was the first head of the hospital's chemical laboratory in 1920, and was the founding president of the Barnes Hospital Society in 1925. Olmsted became physician emeritus in 1952 .

From 1920 to 1963, Dr. Olmsted practiced as a private physician. He was certified in the practice of internal medicine in 1936, specializing in diabetes. In 1920, insulin was discovered to be effective in the treatment of diabetes, and Barnes Hospital was one of the first selected in the country to use the hormone to treat patients. Since Olmsted was the resident expert in diabetes, he became the first doctor to use insulin in St. Louis in the year 1922. Years later, in 1949, he founded the St. Louis Diabetes Association.

Department of Otolaryngology, Washington University School of Medicine

  • Corporate body
  • 1896-

The Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery at Washington University in St. Louis has a rich, 130-year history of leadership in our field that is built on the foundations of academic medicine: patient care, research, training and service. Our past leaders include luminaries in the field of otolaryngology, such as John Blasdel Shapleigh, MD; Greenfield Sluder, MD; Lee Wallace Dean, MD; Theodore Walsh, MD; Joseph Ogura, MD; John Fredrickson, MD; Richard A. Chole, MD, PhD; and, presently, Craig A. Buchman, MD, FACS. Even from our earliest days, prior to the inception of the McMillan Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital (circa 1943), excellence has been an integral part of the department's fabric. A look at former faculty and program graduates reveals many of the true innovators in our field. While we remain humbled by our beginnings and past achievements, we choose not to rest on our laurels. Rather, we aspire to further our commitment to improving patients' lives by leading our field and its clinical application.
-- 2019-2020 Bulletin Overview: http://bulletin.wustl.edu/medicine/departments/otolaryngology/#text

Ogura, Joseph H.

  • Person
  • 1915-1983

Joseph Hirosuke Ogura was born in San Francisco in 1915. He studied at the University of California, receiving his BA (1937) and MD (1941). From 1940-1948, he did internships and residencies at hospitals in California and Ohio as well as the WU School of Medicine and McMillan, Barnes, and St. Louis City Hospitals. Ogura's first teaching post at the School of Medicine in 1948 was instructor of Otolaryngology. He was promoted to assistant professor in 1951 and associate professor in 1953. He became full professor in 1960 and Lindburg Professor in 1966. He served as head of the department of Otolaryngology and otolaryngologist-in-chief at Barnes and St. Louis Children's Hospital for sixteen years, 1966-1982. He remained as staff otolaryngologist at Barnes and Childrens until his death in 1983 at the age of 67. The School of Medicine created the Ogura Lectureship in honor of him in 1977.

A superb academic physician and surgeon, Ogura developed refinements in the voice sparing operation for cancer of the larynx. Prior to his innovative laryngeal surgery, patients underwent total removal of the larynx. With his approach, he preserved larygeal function for speech and swallowing.

Ogura was an indefatigable contributor to medical literature and teaching programs of head and neck surgery. He was the author of more than 300 articles and 20 books. Head and neck cancer, ablative surgery,and reconstructive surgery were his specialties. His research interests included nasopulmonary mechanics, laryngeal physiology, and the study and care of progressive malignant exophthalmus and he explored the possibility of transplantation of the larynx.

Ogura was a member of 30 professional societies including the elite international society, Collegium Oto-Rhino-Larynogological Amicitiate Sacurum whose U.S. membership was limited to 20 active otolarynogologists. He was one of three physicians in the history of the American Larynogological Association to receive all three of its awards: the Casselberry Award, the James Newcombe Award and the DeRoalds Gold medial. He was president of the American Society for Head and Neck Surgery, the American Larynogological Association, and the Society of Academic Chairman of Otolaryngology. He was selected in 1980 to the Royal Society of Medicine, and appointed to the National Cancer Advisory Board by President Nixon in 1972.

*From WU Record, 04-21-1983 and Arch Otolaryngology 106:662-663, Nov. 1980.

Kountz, Willie Mae

  • Person
  • 1902-2001

Willie Mae Weissinger, a teacher and a nurse, was born on September 12, 1902 in Hernando, Mississippi to Cora Scott and Alexander T. Weissinger. She graduated from Millsap College in Jacksonville, MS with a degree in education and earned an RN from Washington University School of Nursing. She taught in Hernando, Mississippi.

In 1928 WillIam B. Kountz married Willie Mae Weissinger of St. Louis. They had two sons, William and Robert. In their later married life, Mrs. Kountz was very active in raising financial support for her husband's specialty through work with women's clubs. Following WBK's death, Mrs. Kountz corresponded with several of his colleagues, the basis of this series. Most numerous are letters from Washington University Vice Chancellors for Medical Affairs, William H. Danforth, and his successor Samuel B. Guze, and the first Kountz Professor, Hugh B. Chaplin.
Source: FC045-S05, Correspondence of Willie Mae Kountz, 1967-1979. William B. Kountz Papers

Wulff, George J. L., Jr.

  • Person
  • 1909-1998

George J. L. Wulff, Jr. earned both his bachelor's and medical degrees (M. D. 1933) from Washington University and served as a Lt. colonel and colonel in the Army Medical Corps during World War II. After he trained with the 21st General Hospital. he became commander of the 12th Field Hospital in September 1942. After the war Wulff worked in private practice for 40 years. He was on the staff of Deaconess Hospital, Barnes Hospital, and St. Luke's Hospital, where he was chief of the obstetrics-gynecology department. He was also a professor at Washington University School of Medicine.

Obituaries: George J.L. Wulff Jr., emeritus professor of obstetrics and gynecology, Washington University Record, 22 January 1998, page & 12th Field Hospital, Unit History, WW2 Us Medical Research Centre, https://www.med-dept.com/unit-histories/12th-field-hospital/

Charles, Benjamin H.

  • Person
  • 1908-1994

Benjamin H. Charles, M.D., was a Washington University School of Medicine alumnus who served as a major for the 21st General Hospital during World War II. Charles was the chief officer of the POW section of the 21st General Hospital.

Results 21 to 40 of 45