American Medical College was founded in 1843 by practitioners of "eclectic" medicine, who emphasized the use of herbal remedies. In the early 20th century, the college reformed and broadened its curriculum and established a private hospital and dispensary for the clinical training of students. In 1911 American Medical College merged with Barnes Medical College, in an attempt to sustain an institution of higher learning that could compete with Washington University and St. Louis University and, like them, offer undergraduate instruction. In 1912 the product of this merger was given a new name, National University of Arts and Sciences. The effort failed, however, and all its programs ceased by 1918.