Showing 72 results

Authority record
Library of Congress

Coxe, William S.

  • n96800766
  • Person
  • 1926-2012

William S. Coxe received his medical degree from Johns Hopkins University. He moved to St. Louis in 1957 and served on the faulty of Washington University School of Medicine until he retired as an emeritus professor in neurological surgery in 1997. Coxe received the School of Medicine's Distinguished Service Award in 2002.

Nihon Igakkai

  • n84127549
  • Corporate body
  • 1902

Nihon Igakkai; variants: Nippon Igakkai, Japan Medical Congress, JMC, Japanese Association of Medical Science, Nippon Medical Society; org. 1902 as Nihon Rengō Igakkai [no publs. in LC data base])

found: LC manual auth. cd.(hdg.:

City of Hope National Medical Center (U.S.)

  • n80084539
  • Corporate body
  • 1949-

found: Information converted from 678, December 12, 2017(Established in 1913 as City of Hope Hospital [no publ. in LC/NLM databases]. Began research under the name City of Hope National Medical Center in 1952. Also known as City of Hope Medical Center from 1955 until around 1970, at which time it again assumed the name of City of Hope National Medical Center. Consists of five major divisions: 1. Hospital for Tumors and Allied Diseases, 2. Hospital for Cardiac Diseases, 3. Hospital for Respiratory Diseases, 4. Division of Post-Graduate Medical Education, 5. Medical Research Institute)
found: Wikipedia, May 7, 2018(The Jewish Consumptive Relief Association was chartered in Los Angeles, California, to raise money to establish a free, non-sectarian sanatorium for persons with tuberculosis. The association purchased 10 acres of land in Duarte, California, approximately 16 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, and dubbed the property the Los Angeles Sanatorium. Opened January 11, 1914. The sanatorium was nicknamed "the city of hope," With tuberculosis becoming less prevalent, executive sanatorium director Samuel H. Golter began an initiative in 1946 to transform the sanatorium into a full medical center, supported by a research institute and post-graduate education. The Los Angeles Sanatorium officially changed its name to City of Hope National Medical Center in 1949) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Hope_National_Medical_Center#FundraisinSources

Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research

  • n84004719
  • Corporate body
  • 1901-1958

[The institute was organized in 1901. It's name was changed on June 27, 1958 to Rockefeller Institute and in 1965 to the Rockefeller University.]

China Medical Board (U.S.)

  • n88097164
  • Corporate body
  • 1928-1955

found: NLM files 3/6/90(hdg.: China Medical Board (U.S.); Organized in 1914 as a division of the Rockefeller Foundation, incorporated as an independent entity in 1928, name changed in 1955 to China Medical Board of New York)

Mackie, Anita

  • n88260181
  • Person
  • 1930-

Anita Whitney Mackie is a former assistant professor of preventive medicine at Washington University School of Medicine who spent the majority of her career working on health services and agricultural issues in Africa. Born in Belfast, Northern Ireland IN 1930, Mackie holds degrees from McGill University (B. Sc. 1952), Cornell University (M.S., 1954), and Michigan State University (PH.D. Communications, 1962). She originally began her professional career as an agricultural economist in Nigeria for Stanford University and served on Nigerian relief in 1967-1968, but the Biafran War forced her return to the United States. At that point in 1970, she became a member of the Washington University School of Medicine faculty. At Washington University, Mackie acted as a liason between the medical center and the division of Health Care Research. She was assistant professor of Health care services in preventative medicine (communication). In the early 1970s, she was called back to Africa and spent the next two decades working with USAID and the Foreign Service in Chad. In her retirement years, Mackie has lived in Zimbabwe, South Africa, and the U.S.

Sources: curriculum vitae, 1970; Washington University School of Medicine catalog, 1970/71-1973/74

Sachs, Ernest

  • n83826440
  • Person
  • 1879-1958

Ernest Sachs, MD (1879-1958) was born in New York City to a family gifted in the arts, steeped in academia, and endowed with wealth. Together with Harvey Cushing, he is regarded as one of the founders of American neurosurgery. His father was a classical scholar and a founder of the Teachers College at Columbia University, his uncle was a neurologist noted for the description of Tay-Sachs disease, and his cousin was professor of fine arts at Harvard University. Sachs himself would learn the cello at the age of six.

Sachs attended the newly founded Johns Hopkins Medical School and graduated with high honors in 1904. Following his medical degree, he spent three years as a house officer at Mount Sinai in New York, before pursuing two additional years of study in Vienna, Berlin, and London. Recruited to Washington University after the reorganization of the School of Medicine, Sachs became the pioneering neurosurgeon west of the Mississippi. In 1919, Sachs was named Professor of Neurological Surgery, the first surgeon in the United States with such an appointment.

Known to be forceful, demanding, and a perfectionist, Sachs developed one of the most outstanding neurosurgical centers in the world at Washington University. Dedicated to the care of his patients, he could be gracious, thoughtful, and even gentle. He would also rightfully earn a fearsome, legendary status, among his many students as being intimidating, caustic, and belligerent. For thirty-five years he held his infamous twelve o'clock clinic for the junior medical students in the Barnes Hospital surgical amphitheater know as "The Pit."

In 1949, Sachs abruptly resigned his emeritus professorship at Washington University to accept a position in retirement at Yale University.

Engelmann, George J.

  • Person
  • 1847-1903

George J. Engelmann (1847-1903) was a St. Louis native who worked as an obstetrician and gynecologist. He was the son of the famed botanist, George Engelmann, who had settled in St. Louis after emigrating from Germany. Engelmann graduated from Washington University in St. Louis in 1867 and continued his studies abroad in Europe in Berlin, Tubingen, Vienna, and Paris. During his time overseas, he volunteered as a surgeon in the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871).

Engelmann returned to the United States in 1873 and subsequently became a professor of gynecology at the St. Louis Post-Graduate School of Medicine, where he chaired the study of operative midwifery and female diseases. He was a founding member of the American Gynecological Society. His contributions to medicine include articles such as The use of electricity in gynecological practice (1886), History of obstetrics (1888), and Fundamental principles of gynecological electro-therapy; application and dosage (1891). In his free time, Engelmann devoted his interests to archaeology, having worked on sites throughout southern Missouri and exchanged specimens with museums in Europe and the United States.

St. Louis City Hospital

  • n2012186348
  • Corporate body
  • 1846-1987

St. Louis City Hospital No.1 first opened its doors in 1846 as the primary public hospital for St. Louis residents. It was destroyed by a fire ten years later, prompting city officials to rebuild and reopen the hospital in 1857. In 1884, St. Louis City Hospital became the home of the area's first nursing education program, the St. Louis Training School for Nurses. It was again destroyed in 1896 by a tornado, which led to an extensive rebuilding effort that completed the current building in 1907 with additional structures on the 10-acre complex.

After City Hospital No.2 (later the Homer G. Phillips Hospital) was established on the north side of the city limits in 1919, the hospital primarily served St. Louis residents in the south side. It remained open until 1987, and was renovated into condominiums in 2006. The structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.

Washington University School of Dental Medicine

  • Corporate body
  • 1866-1991

The dental school originally began in 1866 as the Missouri Dental College. It was only the sixth dental school opened in the United States, and it was the first dental school established west of the Mississippi River. At the time, the School used the lecture rooms, museum, and hospitals of the St. Louis Medical College, which was located at 7th and Clark Avenue in downtown St. Louis. In 1891, the faculty of St. Louis Medical College agreed to affiliate with Washington University. The Missouri Dental College followed suite in 1892, and its name changed to the Dental Department of Washington University.

The dental school eventually moved to the School of Medicine campus in 1928 into a building at 4559 Scott Avenue. The new building featured an amphitheater, lecture rooms, science labs, and multiple clinics. Teaching internships were established at Barnes and St. Louis Children's Hospitals in the late 1930s. During the Second World War, an accelerated curriculum was offered where the curriculum was compressed into three calendar years.

Throughout its existance, the dental school struggled financially. Discussions about closing the dental school arose in the early 1950s. In 1972, the National Institutes of Health agreed to provide almost all of the funds necessary (nearly three million dollars) to renovate and reequip the dental school's building. This remodel greatly alliviated some financial pressures, however the dental school continued to struggle.

In June 1989, the Board of Trustees decided to close the school. This decision was based upon budget deficits; increasing tuition rates; competition from less-expensive, state-funded dental schools; limited outside funding; and a declining student pool. The 125th and final class of students graduated from the Washington University School of Dental Medicine in 1991.

Results 1 to 20 of 72