Showing 67 results

Authority record
Bernard Becker Medical Library, Washington University in St. Louis

Jones, Andrew B.

  • Person
  • 1890-1981

Andrew B. Jones was born in 1890 in Tennessee, and earned his M.D. degree at Vanderbilt University in 1916. He completed a medical internship under George Dock in 1919 and served as a neurology resident under Sidney I. Schwab in 1920. From 1921-1922 Jones served as a resident in psychiatry at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. He then returned to Washington University School of Medicine to join the faculty, where he taught neurology and psychiatry until his retirement from active practice in 1965.

During the 1930s, Jones made a special study of the encephalitis outbreak in St. Louis, and published several articles on the subject. He was the chief of the encephalitis section of Barnes Hospital during World War II, and also served as a psychiatric consultant to the Selective Service Agency of Eastern Missouri. He was associated with numerous professional organizations during his career, including the American Psychiatric Association and the American Academy of Neurology. In 1980, Andrew B. Jones and his wife Gretchen endowed a Professorship of Neurology at Washington University School of Medicine. Jones passed away in 1981.

Jones, Gretchen

  • 1908-2001

Gretchen Pemberton Jones, 92, St. Louis, formerly of Iberia, died March 20, 2001, at Barnes-Jewish Extended Care Facility, St. Louis.

She was born Aug. 12, 1908, near Iberia, a daughter of Wade A. and Edna Francis Wall Pemberton. She was married April 9, 1964, in Dayton, Tenn., to Dr. Andrew B. Jones, who died June 19, 1981.

She was a 1927 graduate of the Iberia Academy, a 1929 graduate of Iberia Junior College and a 1931 graduate of Drury College, Springfield. She was a medical technician at Barnes Hospital, St. Louis, and worked as a secretary and lab technician for a group of doctors.

After her retirement she lived on Chickamauga Lake in Tennessee, and Lake Okeechobee in Florida. In 1976, she helped establish the Andrew B. Jones and Gretchen P. Jones Professorship in Neurology at Washington University Medical School, St. Louis.

She was a member of the Iberia Congregational Christian Church.

Survivors include: one stepson, Andrew B. Jones Jr., Adams, Tenn.; two stepdaughters, Pat Ingles, Marathon, Fla., and Barbara Pemberton, Cape Girardeau; three sisters, Wilma Birge, Seymour, Ind., Janet Wilson, Florissant, and Jean Keeth, Iberia; and two brothers, Don Pemberton, Cape Girardeau and Victor Pemberton, Tuscumbia. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/12648913/gretchen-pemberton-jones#source

Hildreth, H. Rommel

  • Person
  • 1902-1993

H. Rommel Hildreth was an ophthalmologist who was born 1902. Hildreth received his medical degree from the Washington University School of Medicine in 1928.

Roblee, Melvin A.

  • Person
  • 1900-1995

Melvin A. Roblee graduated from the Washington University School of Medicine in 1925 and afterward served as clinical professor of obstetrics and gynecology.

Thurston, Jean Holowach

  • Person
  • 1917-2017

Jean H. Thurston was a pediatric neurologist who worked at St. Louis Children's Hospital. She was been a pioneer in her field, particularly in the studies of childhood seizure disorders. She was among the first to perform the first systematic studies of anticonvulsant withdrawal in infants and children, and developed the guidelines that are used as the basis in present-day treatment.

Jean Holowach began her medical studies with an M.D. at the University of Alberta in Canada, but moved to St. Louis to complete her training with a fellowship in pediatrics at Washington University School of Medicine in 1945. Thurston became an instructor in the Department of Pediatrics in 1949, and was promoted to assistant professor in 1954 and associate professor in 1965. She finally reached full professorship in 1975, and also became a professor of neurology with the specialization of neurochemistry in 1982.

In addition to her career at Washington University, Thurston founded the Pediatric Convulstion Clinic in 1950 and served as its director for its first twelve years. She also served as a consultant for the State of Missouri Rheumatic Fever Program from 1949 to 1954 and directed the State of Missouri Premature Program from 1949 to 1961. Due to her numerous contributions to pediatric research, Thurston received the Fomon-Peterson Founders Award from the Midwest Society for Pediatric Research in 1990 and the lifetime achievement award from the Child Neurology Society in 2004.

Jean Holowach married Donald L. Thurston, M.D, in 1949. The two met in the 1945 in the Department of Pediatrics at Washington University. They were collaborators in many research projects.

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/obituary-jean-holowach-thurston-professor-emerita-99/

Shapleigh, John B.

  • Person
  • 1857-1925

John B. Shapleigh (1857-1937) was the first chair of the Department of Otolaryngology at Washington University School of Medicine, serving from 1896 to 1923. Shapleigh earned his undergraduate and medical degrees from Washington University (1878) and St. Louis Medical College (1881). He first began his medical career as an assistant physician at City Hospital, but continued his studies in a post-graduate course on clincial otology in Vienna, Austria. In 1885, Shapleigh returned to St. Louis to establish a private practice and joined the faculty at the Medical Department of Washington University as professor and head of the Department of Otology. In 1901-1902, he was the dean of the faculty and was physician to St. Luke’s Hospital and the Protestant Hospital. Additionally, Shapleigh was on the staff of the Barnard Free Skin and Cancer Hospital, Deaconess Hospital, Barnes Hospital, and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Shapleigh was president of the Medical Society of City Hospital Alumni and a member of the St. Louis Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the Missouri State Medical Association, the American Otological Society and the Academy of Medicine. After his death, his family gave a bequest in 1937 to support and maintain the Dr. John B. Shapleigh Library for the Otological Research Library within the Washington University School of Medicine.

Hall, William K.

  • Person
  • 1918-2011

William K. Hall (1918-2011) was an assistant professor emeritus of dermatology at Washington University School of Medicine and emeritus staff member of Barnes Hospital. He held degrees from Yale University (1939) and Harvard Medical School (1942), and then joined the U.S. Navy for the next 20 years. When he retired as a captain in the Naval Medical Corps in 1962, Hall set up a private dermatology practice in St. Charles, MO until his retirement in 1982. He joined the clinical faculty of Washington University School of Medicine in 1962.

White, Park J.

  • Person
  • 1891-1987

Park Jerauld White was born in Green Ridge, Staten Island on December 31, 1891. He studied at Harvard College, receiving his bachelor's degree in 1913. He later received his medical degree from Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1917. Shortly after matriculation, Dr. White entered the U.S. Army, where he served as a 1st Lieutenant and Medical Officer in a number of military installations across the United States.

After finishing his military service in 1920, Dr. White moved to St. Louis, Missouri where he established a private practice. He maintained his private practice until his retirement in 1965. Beginning in 1921, Dr. White also served as the Assistant Visiting Pediatrician at Children's Hospital. He held this position until 1962. Additionally, Dr. White served as the Lecturer in Medical Ethics and Professional Conduct at Washington University School of Medicine from 1921-1946. In 1925, he was awarded an Instructorship in Clinical Pediatrics at the Washington University Medical School, a post he would hold until 1958. From 1958 to 1962, Dr. White served as an Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics. He became a Professor Emeritus in the same department in 1962. Dr. White also served as the Director of Pediatrics at Homer G. Phillips Hospital from 1945 until his retirement in 1966.

Dr. White's first moment of national recognition came in 1925 when he published an article in The Nation's Health entitled 'The Health of Colored Babies in St. Louis.' In this article, he compared the death rates of African American and Caucasian babies in the city of St. Louis. He found that for every 1,000 African American babies born, 126 died. This rate was almost double that of Caucasian babies.

In addition to his work at the Washington University School of Medicine and various area hospitals, Dr. White was also a renowned poet and essayist, an active member of a number of area and professional organizations, and a strong voice for health and civil equality for all St. Louis citizens. His works of literature were published in numerous journals and magazines, including the New England Journal of Medicine, the Journal of Pediatrics, Today's Health, and the United Church Herald. In the community, Dr. White played an active role in a number of organizations such as the YMCA/YWCA, the St. Louis Civil Liberties Union, the Committee for Environmental Information, and many others.

Dr. White served as the President of the St. Louis Pediatric Society for two years and the State Chairman of the American Academy of Pediatrics for eight years. Dr. White was also an active member of the St. Louis Conference on Race Relations, a position in which he worked to help African American physicians gain membership to the St. Louis Medical Society and the American Academy of Pediatrics. Dr. White remained an active member of St. Louis society and the university until his death on August 6, 1987.

Richards, Frank O.

  • Person
  • 1923-2014

Frank O. Richards was born in 1923 in Asheville, NC and attended Asheville public schools. He received his AB degree from Talladega College, Talladega, Alabama in 1944 and his MD degree from Howard University School of Medicine, Washington, DC in 1947. He completed his internship and surgical residency at Homer G. Phillips Hospital in St. Louis, after which he spent two years in the United States Air Force as chief of general surgery at the 36th Tactical Reconnaissance Air Force Base Hospital in Bitburg, Germany from 1952 to 1954. He returned to St. Louis in 1954 and served as supervisor of surgery at Homer G. Phillips. He entered the private practice of surgery in 1955.

Richards was certified by the American Board of Surgery in 1954. He was admitted as a fellow of the American College of Surgeons in 1957.

He was appointed to the clinical faculty of the Department of Surgery at Washington University School of Medicine in 1954. He served on the staff of Barnes and Jewish Hospitals, also on the staffs of St. Luke’s and DePaul Hospitals (the first African American surgeon to do so), and on the staffs of St. Louis Children’s, Bethesda, Deaconess, and Christian Hospitals.

In 1960, Richards received the William H. Sinkler, MD Award given by the surgical section of the National Medical Association. He has written scientific papers which report studies on intestinal obstruction, gastrointestinal bleeding, and wound healing. He also was a participating author of A Century of Black Surgeons, the U.S.A. Experience, a two-volume treatise about the training of African American surgeons in this country, edited by Claude Organ, Jr. and Margaret Kosiba (1987).

Richards was the first African American member of the St. Louis Surgical Society, later serving as its secretary and president. He was active in many civic endeavors and served on several hospital and community boards.

He was married to the former Ruth A. Gordon of Trenton, NJ. They were the parents of two children.

*Adapted from the donor’s own biographical statement, with his permission.

McPheeters, William M.

  • Person
  • 1815-1905

William M. McPheeters was a physician who practiced in St. Louis after obtaining his medical degree in Philadelphia. During the Civil War, his family was among the numerous St. Louis families who sympathized with the South, so they were forced to pay fines that would be used for the relief of refugees. McPheeters refused to take an oath of loyalty to the Union, so he left his family and practice to offer his medical expertise to the Confederacy in Richmond, VA in 1862. He was appointed as the medical director for General Price's army in Tupelo, Mississippi. After the war, McPheeters returned to St. Louis to resume his practice. He remained in St. Louis for the rest of his life, serving as editor and contributor to the St. Louis Medical and Surgical Journal.

Herweg, Dorothy Glahn

  • Person
  • 1924-2019

Dottie Glahn, the second of four children of Pastor Paul and Edna Glahn, was raised in Evansville, IL. After attending Southern Illinois University, Dottie earned her RN at the Washington University School of Nursing in 1947. On graduating, she accepted a position at St. Louis Children’s Hospital, where she rose to become head nurse on the infants’ ward.

In 1959, she married John C. Herweg, M.D. and became the mother to Marjorie, Mary Jo, and James. John was married to pediatrician, Janet Scovill in 1946. Janet.Scovill's died in 1958 at the age of 39. John and Dottie had one daughter, Jan Marie. They also had a loving, supportive marriage that lasted 59 years.

https://digitalcommons.wustl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1172&context=outlook

Minnich, Virginia

  • 609979
  • Person
  • 1910-1996

Virginia Minnich was born January 24, 1910, in Zanesville, Ohio. She graduated with a bachelor's degree from Ohio State University in 1937 and earned a master's degree from Iowa State College in 1938. Minnich's expertise was in hematology and nutrition. She studied iron metabolism, platelet function, abnormal hemoglobins, thalassemia and morphology/hematology. Her work led to the discovery of hemoglobin E and the elucidation of the glutathionine synthesis pathway. She also created wide-ranging audiovisual programs on all aspects of blood and bone marrow, which have been used worldwide.

Minnich spent her entire medical career at Washington University School of Medicine, starting as a hematology research assistant in 1939. In 1958, she was promoted to research associate. She was elevated to full professor in 1974. Minnich spent 1964-65 in Turkey on a Fulbright Award. She was a member of the Foundation for Clinical Research, the American Society of Hematology and the International Society of Hematology.

Taussig, Frederick J.

  • Person
  • 1872-1943

Dr. Frederick J. Taussig was a gynecologist and professor of clinical obstetrics at Washington University Medical School who became a mentor to generations of students beginning in 1907. He earned an A.B. at Harvard in 1893 and an M.D. in 1898 at St. Louis Medical College, a forerunner of the Washington University Medical Department. After an internship at the St. Louis City Hospital for Women where he was also assistant superintendent, Taussig interned in gynecology at the Imperial and Royal Elizabeth Hospital in Vienna from 1901 to 1902. He was one of a number of St. Louis doctors in private practice at the turn of the century who were concerned about the large number of indigent patients riddled with cancer that were unable to get treatment and hospital beds. These doctors banded together to treat indigent patients and encouraged George D. Barnard to provide funds for the Barnard Free Skin and Cancer Hospital. Dr. Taussig wrote a large number of clinical research papers drawn from the careful case records of patients he saw at Barnard Free Skin and Cancer Hospital, Washington University Hospital, St. Louis City Hospital, St. Louis Maternity Hospital, the New Jewish Hospital, and Barnes Hospital.

According to E.V.Cowdry, his colleague at Barnard Hospital, Fred J. Taussig's most significant publication was his book, Abortion, spontaneous and induced: medical and social aspects (1936), 'a classic recognized by medical men and sociologists alike.' Cowdry also observed the boundless energy Taussig brought to directing medical activities of Barnard Hospital at St. Louis and the State Cancer Hospital at Columbia, in addition to private practice, teaching, and research. With Robert Crossen, Frances Stewart, and Lesley Patton, Fred J. Taussig organized the first contraceptive clinic in St. Louis in 1933. The clinic was called the Maternal Health Association of Missouri until about 1943 when the name changed to the Planned Parenthood Clinic of Missouri. He also served on the board of directors at the National Committee on Maternal Health and the National Committee for Maternal Welfare.

Smith, Elsworth S., Jr.

  • Person
  • 1864-?

Elsworth S. Smith, Jr., M.D. earned his M.D. in 1887 at St. Louis Medical College. He served as professor of clinical medicine at the Washington University Medical Department beginning in 1933. Prior to this, he was on the faculty of St. Louis Medical College from 1890-1899 when it affiliated with Washington University. He was also physician at St. Louis City Hospital (1899) and physician in chief at St. Louis Mullanphy Hospital (1912) among many other hospitals. Elsworth S. Smith was active in professional organizations as a founding member of the St. Louis Society of Internal Medicine and as president of the St. Louis Medical Society in 1918, the American Congress on Internal Medicine in 1924, and the American Therapeutic Society from 1934 to 1936.

*Source: The American Physician and surgeon bluebook: a distinct cyclopedia of 1919, Chicago: American Blue Book publishers, p. 406.

Sachs, Mary K.

  • Person
  • 1882-1973

Mary Sachs was born Mary Parmly Koues in 1882. She graduated from Smith College in 1912. Sachs published her first play, The Twelfth Disciple, which was performed by the Little Theater of St. Louis company on Broadway at the Waldorf Theatre in New York in 1930. She subsequently composed poetry, a collection of which, entitled Echoes, included poems she wrote between 1898 and 1966 and was published in 1967. She married neurosurgeon Ernest Sachs in 1913.

Hartmann, Alexis F., Sr.

  • Person
  • 1898-1964

Alexis F. Hartmann Sr. (1898-1964), a native St. Louisan, spent his entire career at Washington University, earning a bachelor's degree in 1919, master's and medical degrees in 1921 and later heading the School of Medicine's department of pediatrics from 1936-1964. Hartmann also was physician-in-chief of St. Louis Children's Hospital, where he oversaw the hospital's racial integration in 1950.

Hartmann's contributions in medicine include the development of a technique to measure sugar in patients' blood during medical school, which was a significant step towards the discovery of insulin by Canadian scientists. Due to this experience working with diabetic children, Hartmann developed a lifelong interest in the disease. In 1921, he co-wrote a paper with Philip Schaffer on the Schaffer-Hartmann Method for true blood glucose analysis. Hartmann also created a fluid and electrolyte replacement therapy for infants universally known as Lactated Ringer's solution, or Hartmann's Solution. His research led to the 1932 publication of two studies that showed differences in serum electrolyte patterns in dehydration and described the use of the solution to treat acidosis in children. According to a former colleague, Hartmann had great influence on Carl and Gerty Cori by recommending that they study glucose-6-phosphatase in glycogen storage disease. The Coris' groundbreaking work eventually earned them a Nobel Prize. Throughout his career, Hartmann was honored with awards such as the Gill Prize in Pediatrics in 1921 and the first Abraham Jacobi Award from the American Medical Association's Section on Pediatrics.

Croninger, Adele B.

  • Person
  • 1920-1968

Adele Croninger was a geologist best known for her work in cancer research on the studies of smoking habits and lung cancer rates under the guidance of Ernst Wynder and Evarts Graham at Washington University School of Medicine. Croninger initially recieved a master's degree in geology from the university in 1948, but she opted to embark in cancer research at the medical school after graduation. She and Betty G. Proctor conducted the interviews for the study, which was released in 1950 to widespread publicity. Due to controversial evidence in the study, Wynder and Graham decided to develop a follow-up study using cigarette tar on laboratory mice. Croninger was again hired to assist in the second study and proved herself to be such an adept worker that she was named as a co-author when the study was published in five parts between 1953 and 1958, immediately becoming a historical turning point for its linkage of cigarette smoking to lung cancer.

Trotter, Mildred, 1899-1991

  • no2001062394
  • Person
  • 1899-1991

Mildred Trotter is regarded as one of the most eminent 20th century contributors to the field of physical anthropology, especially to knowledge about human bone and hair. A native of Pennsylvania, she received her bachelor's degree from Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts. She joined the Washington University School of Medicine Department of Anatomy in 1920 as a researcher and her subsequent work here was applied towards a Ph.D., which she received in 1924. Her full time teaching career began that same year, collaborating with Robert J. Terry in the gross anatomy curriculum. In this capacity, Trotter guided medical students for over fifty years in the exacting art of dissection.

Trotter's research efforts have led to findings that have proven useful not only to clinical medicine, but also to fields such as forensic science, physical anthropology, and archaeology. She contributed much of what is known today about human skeletal structure and density, and particularly the characteristics of long limb bones. Trotter was named to a full professorship in 1946, thus making her the first woman to achieve this rank at Washington University School of Medicine. She was a visiting fellow, lecturer, and professor at several universities in this country and abroad and a consultant to the U.S. Armed Forces. She became a professor emerita in 1967.

Butcher, Harvey R.

  • Person
  • 1920-1989

Harvey Raymond Butcher, Jr. was an emeritus professor of surgery at Washington University School of Medicine when he died in 1989 after a lengthy illness. In 1944 he was an intern at Barnes Hospital in surgery after earning his M.D. at Harvard Medical School. From 1952-1987, He was a member of the department of Surgery at Washington University School of medicine. He was professor of surgery from 1964-1987. From 1978-1984, he served as the chief of general surgery and surgeon-in-chief at the medical school and Barnes Hospital until his retirement in 1987.

During his tenure, Butcher was a leading authority in vascular surgery and breast cancer. Butcher was also a past president of the Western Surgical Association, the Missouri chapter of the American College of Surgeons, the St. Louis Surgical Society, and a past vice president of the American Surgical Association.

Source: Dr. Harvey Butcher dies, Barnes Bulletin, Volume 43, No. 6, page 2, June 1989, RG009-S12-ss02-V43-N06-1989-06, https://wustl.app.box.com/file/273367263355

Results 1 to 20 of 67