Showing 4933 results

Authority record

Stewart, Frances H.

  • Person
  • 1904-1987

Frances H. Stewart was born in 1904. She received her medical degree from the Washington University School of Medicine in 1927 and practiced as an obstetrician and gynecologist in St. Louis for over 50 years. Interested in family planning and prenatal care, Stewart served as medical director of Planned Parenthood of St. Louis and on the clinical faculty of the Washington University School of Medicine.

Taussig, Frederick J.

  • Person
  • 1872-1943

Dr. Frederick J. Taussig was a gynecologist and professor of clinical obstetrics at Washington University Medical School who became a mentor to generations of students beginning in 1907. He earned an A.B. at Harvard in 1893 and an M.D. in 1898 at St. Louis Medical College, a forerunner of the Washington University Medical Department. After an internship at the St. Louis City Hospital for Women where he was also assistant superintendent, Taussig interned in gynecology at the Imperial and Royal Elizabeth Hospital in Vienna from 1901 to 1902. He was one of a number of St. Louis doctors in private practice at the turn of the century who were concerned about the large number of indigent patients riddled with cancer that were unable to get treatment and hospital beds. These doctors banded together to treat indigent patients and encouraged George D. Barnard to provide funds for the Barnard Free Skin and Cancer Hospital. Dr. Taussig wrote a large number of clinical research papers drawn from the careful case records of patients he saw at Barnard Free Skin and Cancer Hospital, Washington University Hospital, St. Louis City Hospital, St. Louis Maternity Hospital, the New Jewish Hospital, and Barnes Hospital.

According to E.V.Cowdry, his colleague at Barnard Hospital, Fred J. Taussig's most significant publication was his book, Abortion, spontaneous and induced: medical and social aspects (1936), 'a classic recognized by medical men and sociologists alike.' Cowdry also observed the boundless energy Taussig brought to directing medical activities of Barnard Hospital at St. Louis and the State Cancer Hospital at Columbia, in addition to private practice, teaching, and research. With Robert Crossen, Frances Stewart, and Lesley Patton, Fred J. Taussig organized the first contraceptive clinic in St. Louis in 1933. The clinic was called the Maternal Health Association of Missouri until about 1943 when the name changed to the Planned Parenthood Clinic of Missouri. He also served on the board of directors at the National Committee on Maternal Health and the National Committee for Maternal Welfare.

Minnich, Virginia

  • 609979
  • Person
  • 1910-1996

Virginia Minnich was born January 24, 1910, in Zanesville, Ohio. She graduated with a bachelor's degree from Ohio State University in 1937 and earned a master's degree from Iowa State College in 1938. Minnich's expertise was in hematology and nutrition. She studied iron metabolism, platelet function, abnormal hemoglobins, thalassemia and morphology/hematology. Her work led to the discovery of hemoglobin E and the elucidation of the glutathionine synthesis pathway. She also created wide-ranging audiovisual programs on all aspects of blood and bone marrow, which have been used worldwide.

Minnich spent her entire medical career at Washington University School of Medicine, starting as a hematology research assistant in 1939. In 1958, she was promoted to research associate. She was elevated to full professor in 1974. Minnich spent 1964-65 in Turkey on a Fulbright Award. She was a member of the Foundation for Clinical Research, the American Society of Hematology and the International Society of Hematology.

Maternal Health Association of Missouri

  • Corporate body
  • 1932-1943

Maternal Health Association of Missourifounded in 1932 as the Maternal Health Association of Missouri; became Planned Parenthood Federation of St. Louis in 1943

Washington University School of Medicine

  • Corporate body
  • 1891-

In 1891, responding to a national concern for improving doctors' training, Washington University acquired the independent St. Louis Medical College and established a medical department. Missouri Medical College, also independent, joined the department in 1899, uniting the two oldest medical schools west of the Mississippi River.

A decade later, the young medical department was sharply criticized in a report on the state of medical education in the United States and Canada ' an assessment that found most medical institutions wholly inadequate. These findings provoked university board member Robert S. Brookings to transform the department into a modern medical school.

Working with the report's author, Abraham Flexner, Brookings set about installing the medical school with a full-time faculty, adequate endowment, modern laboratories and associated teaching hospitals. Among the first four department heads he recruited in 1910 was Joseph Erlanger, who went on to win the 1944 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.

In 1919, Evarts Graham was appointed the first full-time head of surgery. Fourteen years later, he performed the first successful lung removal. In 1910, George Dock established a tradition of distinguished clinical research in the Department of Medicine.

Carl and Gerty Cori arrived at the School of Medicine in 1931 to join the Department of Pharmacology. In 1947, they won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for research on the catalytic conversion of glycogen. Six other Nobelists received training under their auspices.

Women first gained admission to the student body in 1918; today, women make up half of each incoming class in medical education. In 1962, James L. Sweatt III, MD, became the first African American graduate of the School of Medicine. It took another 10 years, however, for another black student, Julian Mosley, MD '72, to matriculate. Today the school is proactively devoting resources to improving diversity, equity and inclusion on campus and in the medical field.

The school moved to its current location in the Central West End neighborhood in 1914. When the neighorhood began to falter in the second half of the 20th century, many institutions began to leave. Washington University School of Medicine, Barnes-Jewish Hospital and St. Louis Children's Hospital formed a coalition in 1962 that went on to lead a successful neighborhood revitalization effort that continues today, through the Washington University Medical Center Redevelopment Corporation.

Source: https://medicine.wustl.edu/about/history/

Tsuchiya, Hiromu

  • Person
  • 1887-1971

Hiromu Tsuchiya was a Japanese-American assistant professor emeritus of microbiology at Washington University School of Medicine who specialized in parasitology. Born in Osaka, Japan, Tsuchiya left for the United States in 1905 to study at University of Missouri-Columbia. Over the next fifteen years, he obtained his undergraduate degree from Mizzou, and a Ph.D. in protozoology (now parasitology) from Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health. He met Jacques Bronfenbrenner, head of Bacteriology and Public Health at Washington University in St. Louis, who became his mentor. Bronfenbrenner offered him a research fellowship and, once Tsuchiya's abilities were proven, extended it for three additional years until 1934.

Tsuchiya researched various pathogenic microorganisms in the department laboratories, assisted the chief in preparation for lectures, and over time was assigned to address the students himself. He began offering his own course in 'medical zoology' in 1933 and quickly became a popular teacher. In 1934, he was promoted to the entry-level academic rank of instructor. Six years later, Tsuchiya was chosen to lead the clinical laboratories in his specialty at Barnes Hospital in 1940. In 1943, he reached the rank of assistant professor. Then, his research was directed mainly toward understanding and treating amebiasis. When Bronfenbrenner retired in 1952, Tsuchiya joined him in retirement before realizing it was too difficult. The next year, the department had changed its name to microbiology under its new chief, Arthur Kornberg, and welcomed him back to the staff.

Tsuchiya remained at Washington University until his second retirement in 1965 due to his declining health. He passed away in 1971 and named the microbiology department as his principal beneficiary.

Wette, Reimut

  • Person
  • 1927-1997

Reimut Wette was a German-American professor emeritus of biostatistics at the Washington University School of Medicine. Raised in Germany, Wette earned his master's degree in biology and his Ph.D. in biomathematics from the University of Heidelberg in the 1950s. He remained at the school as a member of its faculty until 1961 when University of Texas offered him the position of associate professor of biomathematics at the UT M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute in Houston. Wette then moved to the United States and taught at Texas until 1966.

At Washington University, he was a professor of biostatistics and applied mathematics. Wette founded and was named director of the new Division of Biostatistics in the Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health in 1966, where he remained until 1980. When he retired in 1990, the library of the Division of Biostatistics was named in his honor.

In Wette's career, he studied the problem-oriented development and application of mathematical-statistical methods for biomedical research, in addition to the mathematical biology of neoplastic growth and radiation response. Wette was a factor in increasing the statistical awareness in clinical research at the medical school. In the medical community, he was a member of numerous professional organizations, including the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Institute of Biological Sciences, and the American Statistical Association.

Lucille P. Markey Charitable Trust

  • n89638097
  • Corporate body

When Mrs. Markey died on July 24, 1982, the Lucille P. Markey Charitable Trust was incorporated as a Florida nonprofit organization with 501(c)(3) status. The initial meeting of the Board of Trustees occurred in October 1983, and the Trust's Miami office opened on January 1, 1984. The trust completed all activities on June 15, 1997) http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n89638097

Results 4801 to 4820 of 4933