Showing 4820 results

Authority record

Suntzeff, Valentina

  • Person
  • 1891-1975

Valentina Davidovna Suntzeff was born on February 28, 1891 in Kazan, Russia. She began studying medicine in 1911 at the Women's Medical Institute in Petrograd (St. Petersburg). After her second year of medical school, she married Alexander Suntzeff, a mechanical engineering student. Despite taking a year off from school following the birth of her daughter Ludmilla, Suntziff was able to graduate in 1917.

Upon graduation, the Suntzeffs moved to Perm, Russia where she found her first job working in a hospital at an ammunition plant. During World War I, Suntzeff worked as a physician in the Russian Army and she served as the Physician-in-Chief of an isolation hospital for infectious diseases. Suntzeff continued living in Perm until the violent Bolshevik Revolution forced her family to evacuate the city. In August 1920, the Suntzeffs emigrated to Manchuria where she worked as a physician at the Central Hospital in Harbin, China. The Suntzeffs spent three years waiting for the situation in their home country to improve. With little hope of ever being able to return to a normal life in Russia, the Suntzeffs made the decision to move to the United States in 1923. As Suntzeff explains in her autobiography, "If you asked me why we decided to go to the United States, the answer is the pursuit of individual freedom which did not exist in Russia either before or after the Revolution."

In 1923, Suntzeff and her family sailed to Seattle having only $12.00 in their possession. Eventually settling in San Francisco, neither Suntzeff nor her husband could find work in their chosen fields. Instead of continuing her medical career, Suntzeff was forced to work at a sewing factory to make ends meet. After spending four years in San Francisco, Suntzeff's husband was finally able to find a job as a mechanical engineer at a match factory in St. Louis. Suntzeff however continued to struggle with finding work as a physician. In her autobiography, she attributes this problem to her "broken English and being a woman."

Finally in 1930, after being out of the medical field for nearly eight years, Suntzeff accepted a job as a volunteer researcher in the Pathology Department of the Washington University School of Medicine. After only three months working as a volunteer, she joined the staff as a Research Assistant in Pathology. In 1941, Suntzeff transferred to the Department of Anatomy when she became a Research Associate in Cancer Research, and in 1958, a Research Associate Professor. Suntzeff and her colleagues researched cancer of the skin. Her collaboration with biochemist Christopher Carruthers led to their discovery of a fundamental difference between the chemical composition of cancerous and normal tissues.

Suntzeff retired as Research Associate Professor Emeritus and Lecturer in Anatomy in 1960, but she continued to carry on cancer research for another 15 years. During her career, she authored or co-authored over 90 scientific publications.

J. C. Strauss Studio

  • Corporate body
  • 1880-

Strauss Peyton is one of the oldest photographic portrait studios in the country. The studio originated as a St. Louis studio known as Strauss Studio. The major portrait photographer in St. Louis from 1880 until 1920 was J.C. Strauss. His custom designed studio-gallery was on Franklin Street in downtown St. Louis. J.C. Strauss' younger brother Benjamin Strauss, worked for him at an early age learning the photography business. In 1900 Benjamin Strauss moved to Kansas City, Missouri to start his own studio and hired an employee named Homer Peyton. Homer Peyton was so well liked an important to the Kansas City studio that Benjamin made him a partner and changed the name to Strauss Peyton.

Over the next several years Strauss and Peyton famously photographed and hobnobbed with the likes of Al Jolson, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Douglas MacAurthur, and Bette Davis to name a few. In 1911, J.C. Strauss' son Louis Strauss began working in the St. Louis Studio and took over for his father in 1924.

As the Great Depression took its toll on several businesses in the St. Louis area, the Strauss Studio was also affected. By 1940 the Strauss Studio in St. Louis had closed and in Kansas City, Benjamin Strauss and Homer Peyton had also parted ways and sold their Strauss Peyton studio.

The Strauss Peyton studio in Kansas City is still open today and has continued to be a major contributor in the Portrait Photography world. This is where the current owner of Strauss Peyton St. Louis, Colin Miller, began his photography career. After working at the Kansas City studio and learning the history and tradition of this great company, Colin had no choice but to bring it back to its origin. He reopened the St. Louis studio in 1990 in Clayton, Missouri.

Source: https://www.strausspeyton.com/the-history

Walton, Franklin E., 1902-1981

  • Person
  • 1902-1981

Franklin E. Walton was a surgeon and instructor who spent nearly all of his 43 years in medicine at Washington University School of Medicine. Born in Medora, IL in 1902, he was educated at Missouri Military Academy and Shurtleff College prior to receiving his M.D. from Washington University in 1927. Walton spent his internship and surgical residency at Barnes Hospital from 1927 to 1933, serving as one of the early resident physicians for Evarts Graham. When Walton was certified by the American College of Surgeons in 1937, there were only 46 certified surgeons in the United States. Except for a brief stint as the first visiting resident at Yale-New Haven Medical Center, Walton spent the remainder of his career at Washington University School of Medicine in a variety of positions including assistant professor of clinical surgery and assistant dean. In addition, he served in Africa during WWII, reaching the rank of colonel and chief of the surgical service for the 21st General Hospital. Walton retired in 1970 and passed away at the age of 78 from a heart ailment on February 4, 1981.

Pollak, Simon

  • Person
  • 1814-1903

Simon Pollak was born in the Bohemia province of modern-day Czech Republic and graduated from medical school in Vienna in 1835. He immigrated to the United States in 1838, and practiced medicine in Nashville, Tennessee for a few years before moving to St. Louis in 1845. He was instrumental in the founding of the Missouri Institute for the Education of the Blind in 1850, and also served with the Western Sanitary Commission during the Civil War, where he helped inspect and set up hospitals for soldiers. When he returned to regular practice following the war, Pollak lobbied to reopen the Missouri Institute for the Education of the Blind and even introduced Braille to the school. He was also in possession of the first ophthalmoscope in the city of St. Louis. He was one of two initial attending physicians at the St. Louis Mullanphy Hospital, at which he helped found an eye and ear clinic. He served as president of the St. Louis Medical Society at age 73 and was known for his support and inclusion of women physicians in the city, including Mary Hancock McLean.

Goldman, Alfred, 1895-1973

  • Person
  • 1895-1973

Alfred Goldman, born in St. Louis on October 6, 1895, attended public schools in the city and won a scholarship to Washington University where he received three degrees: an A.B. in 1916, an M.S. in physiology in 1922, and an M.D. in 1920. An excellent scholar, he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and Alpha Omega Alpha. Medicine fascinated him as an intellectual pursuit and as a means to help others. He also was a sports enthusiast and enjoyed vigorous athletic activity, playing varsity basketball in college and remaining physically active throughout his life. Bowling, golf and fishing were his favorite diversions.

His medical career was spent entirely in St. Louis as a physician in private practice and at the Washington University School of Medicine as Professor of Clinical Medicine, and Director of Medical Chest Service. Goldman is remembered as an extraordinarily skillful physician and colleague. Students appreciated his effectiveness in imparting clinical skills during their rotations with him. He retained close attachments to many associates from the early years of his career until the end of his life.

The spirit of critical inquiry characterizing his professional career came in part from a rigorous training in physiology. His research always reflected a depth of interest in the patient and his drive for scholarship of the highest quality. His earliest scientific discovery dispelled myths about the effect of chilling on the development of upper respiratory disease. As a medical student, Goldman participated in experiments on chilling with his classmates, Stuart Mudd and Samuel Grant. Their findings proved that exposure to cold produced vaso-constriction in the mucous membranes of the nose and throat, a significant fact in treating diseases of the respiratory tract and one quoted widely in the literature.

The work on chilling had a larger impact because it led to the earliest definitive studies of acid-base changes during hyperventilation. During chilling, the investigators exposed themselves unclothed to temperatures of 4 degrees celsius, and in this situation, hyperventilation occurred regularly. Goldman observed that the reaction of his urine always was alkaline following chilling. Although some effects of hyperventilation were known previously, the physiology of tetany due to hyperventilation was completely unknown. Tetany, the hyperexitability of nerves and muscles, is now known to be due to a decrease in concentration of extracellular ionized calcium. Goldman and Grant used a metronome to pace breathing frequency to induce marked alkalosis, and on several occasions, Goldman hyperventilated to the point of generalized tetany. The two worked out physiological alterations accompanying the marked loss of carbon dioxide and realized that a decrease in ionized calcium likely produced the tetany although technical difficulties precluded measurement of ionized calcium.

With his deep understanding of hyperventilation, it is not surprising that Goldman was the first to recognize hysterical hyperventilation and tetany in patients. His clinical description was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 1922. Goldman applied the appropriate therapy to some of the earliest patients recognized. This therapy, simple rebreathing into a closed container such as a paper bag, continues to be the preferred therapy for hysterical hyperventilation.

Goldman also investigated pulmonary arteriovenous fistulas. He was the first to recognize the relationship of this disorder to the Rendu-Osler-Weber type of familial arteriovenous fistulas.

The effects of environmental inhalant upon the lung attracted Goldman's attention and he wrote an important paper on sulfric-acid fume poisoning. In addition, he was one of the earliest workers to recognize pneumonconiosis in the tungsten carbide industry, and suggested that the principal offending agent in this type of pulmonary fibrosis was cobalt, a suggestion since confirmed by other workers. He served as consultant physician to Koch Hospital in St. Louis at the time of earliest drug therapy in tuberculosis and was responsible for inclusion of many St. Louis patients in the drug trials. He was given Viomycin by the Pfizer Company in 1949 and realized its effectiveness. Recognizing one of the earliest examples of sedormid purpura, he reported the incident to the pharmaceutical firm and was advised that it probably was coincidence and not worth publishing. Within a year, however, there were at least a dozen reports in the literature documenting similar toxicity to the drug, and he regretted not publishing his early report.

Goldman took an active role in the American College of Chest Physicians, serving as president during 1964-65; presenting papers and participating in symposia in many states and abroad, including Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan, Hawaii, Mexico, and Central America. He died on November 25, 1973.

*From a memorial article by John A. Pierce, M.D, March, 1974 (modified for the finding aid, 2005).

Glassberg, Bertrand Y.

  • Person
  • 1902-1971

Bertrand Glassberg (1902-1971) was born in St. Louis on May 26, 1902. He attended Washington University for his undergraduate studies, earning his BS in 1923, and then completed his MD at Washington University School of Medicine in 1925. He completed further graduate study at the University of Chicago, the University of Cincinnati, and the American Institute of Family Relations in Marriage Counseling and Family Problems. Glassberg maintained a private practice in marriage counseling and devoted himself to the field of family relations.

Glassberg was a resident and lecturer at Michael Reese Hospital in Chicago before returning to St. Louis in 1928 as an instructor in clinical medicine at Washington University School of Medicine. He maintained this position for the rest of his career, earning emeritus status in 1969. In addition, he participated in two weekly radio programs, a KSLH program on personality development and the KMOX program "Ask the Marriage Counselor." Glassberg's publications include Know Yourself (1954) and Barron's Teen-age Sex Counselor (1965), the latter of which discusses pregnancy, male and female physiology, and contraception. Glassberg was also a prominent lecturer on the topics of marriage counseling, sexuality, and sex education. He died in St. Louis on September 23, 1971.

Moore, Carl V.

  • Person
  • 1908-1972

Carl V. Moore was an internationally respected physician and blood expert. A St. Louis native, Moore was born on August 21, 1908, and earned his BA and MD from Washington University in 1928 and 1932 respectively. After graduation, Moore attained a National Research Council Fellowship in Medicine at Ohio State University. He served as assistant professor of medicine at that institution from 1935 until 1938, before returning to Washington University. Moore remained at the university for the rest of his career, becoming a full professor in 1946. Moore's research involved pioneering studies in iron metabolism and iron nutrition in collaboration with Washington University professors Virginia Minnich and Reubenia Dubach.

In addition to his research and teaching responsibilities, Moore also contributed to the administration of the Washington University School of Medicine. He served as dean of the School of Medicine from 1953 until 1955 and as head of the Department of Medicine from 1955 until his death. In 1964, Moore became the first Vice Chancellor for Medical Affairs and first President of the School of Medicine, positions he held for a year. During this year, Moore successfully negotiated with Barnes Hospital and the School of Medicine to renew the affiliation between these two venerable institutions at a difficult time.

Moore's influence extended beyond St. Louis and Washington University. At various times, he headed the American Association of Physicians, American Society of Clinical Investigation, Central Society for Clinical Research, International Institute of Nutrition, and American Institute of Nutrition. He also worked on the editorial boards of the Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, Blood, American Journal of Medicine, and Progress in Hematology. Moore's contributions to the medical field resulted in a number of awards and accolades, including the Abraham Flexner Award from the Association of American Medical Colleges, the Stratton Medal from the International Society of Hematology, and election to the National Academy of Science and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Moore died of a heart attack on August 13, 1972, while vacationing with his family in Michigan.

Scott, Wendell G., 1905-1972

  • 1396767
  • Person
  • 1905-1972

Wendell Scott (1905-1972) contributed much to the fields of radiology and cancer research. Born on July 19, 1905, in Boulder, Colorado, Scott earned his BA from the University of Colorado in 1928. In 1932, he attained his MD from Washington University School of Medicine. Scott completed his internship at Barnes Hospital between 1933 and 1934 and then became an instructor at Washington University School of Medicine, advancing to a full professor of clinical radiology in 1956. Throughout his career, Scott was associated with Washington University's Department of Radiology (known as the Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology). At the Mallinckrodt Institute, he helped develop radiographic kymography and rapid film changers for diagnostic radiographic use. He constructed a kymograph to determine its practical, clinical value in examining the heart, chest, and abdomen.

Scott also served in the U.S. Naval Reserve, eventually rising to the rank of rear admiral. He joined the Naval Reserve in 1936 and served on active duty between 1941 and 1946. He continued to serve the Naval Reserve as a Consultant in Radiology to the Surgeon General of the Navy and was promoted to the rank of rear admiral in 1959. In 1970, President Nixon commissioned Scott for the National Cancer Advisory Board, whose recommendations spurred the enactment of the National Cancer Act of 1971. Scott was a member of a number of radiological and cancer organizations. He served as president of the American Cancer Society from 1963 to 1964 and also headed the American Roentgen Ray Society from 1958 to 1957.

The author of over 150 scientific articles, Scott also served as editor-in-chief of Your Radiologist and editor of Planning Guide for Radiological Installations, Cancer, and Genetics, Radiobiology, and Radiology. Scott received numerous awards and accolades for his contributions to the medical field, including the Gold Medal of the St. Louis Medical Society, the President’s Medal of the American Roetgen Ray Society, the Gold Medal of the American College of Radiology, the National Award of the American Cancer Society, and distinguished alumni awards from the University of Colorado and Washington University. Scott succumbed to the very disease he devoted his life to studying, dying of kidney cancer on May 4, 1972, in St. Louis.

Veeder, Borden S.

  • 4193895
  • Person
  • 1883-1970

Borden Veeder was instrumental in developing the Department of Pediatrics at Washington University School of Medicine. Born in Fonda, New York, on August 21, 1883, Veeder attended Colgate Academy and College in Hamilton, New York. He earned his MD from the University of Pennsylvania in 1907 and studied in Berlin for a year before returning to the University of Pennsylvania Hospital, where he served as a demonstrator in pathology. In 1911, Veeder moved to St. Louis to assist John Howland in fostering Washington University's Pediatrics Department. During World War I, Veeder commanded Base Hospital Unit No. 21 in Rouen, France, an American military hospital administrated largely by Washington University medical personnel. Veeder remained at Washington University School of Medicine throughout his career, attaining emeritus status in 1952.

In addition to his duties on behalf of Washington University, Veeder also contributed greatly to the pediatrics field. He was a member of the American Pediatrics Society (president, 1934), American Board of Pediatrics (president, 1933-1941), American Academy of Pediatrics (president, 1943), and the National Board of Medical Examiners (president, 1947-1949). Veeder also fomented the publication of a national academic journal in the field of pediatrics, Journal of Pediatrics, for which he served as editor from 1932 until 1958. Veeder's own publications include Preventive Pediatrics and The Adolescent: His Conflicts and Escapes (with Sidney I. Schwab).

During his career in St. Louis, Veeder maintained a private practice while also serving as a consulting physician to St. Louis Children's Hospital, in addition to his responsibilities to the Pediatrics Department at Washington University School of Medicine. He was also active in the St. Louis chapter of the American Red Cross, serving as chapter chairman from 1942 until 1945. Veeder passed away on June 24, 1970.

David P. Wohl Jr. Memorial Hospital

  • Corporate body

The David P. Wohl Jr. Memorial Hospital building was constructed in 1953. The construction was part of a wider expansion of Washington University Medical School affiliated institutions, namely Barnard Free Skin and Cancer Hospital, which received an expansion onto its original building at approximately the same time. The Wohl Memorial Hospital was a cancer research and treatment facility and had 66 beds in addition to departmental offices, a large auditorium, and laboratories for teaching and research.

The Wohl Memorial Hospital was built as an institution for private patients with a combination of grants totaling $750,000 in 1948. A federal grant from The United States Public Health Service provided $250,000 of the initial funds, and the Wohl Foundation donated $500,000. The Wohl Foundation was begun by David Philip Wohl, Sr., the founder of Wohl Shoe Company of St. Louis, and his wife Carlyn Wohl. Mr. Wohl was a well-known philanthropist and in addition to the $500,000 donated by his foundation he also personally contributed $418,271. The Wohl Memorial Hospital was constructed in honor of their son, an Air Force Lieutenant who was killed in a bombing raid over Germany in World War II. Carlyn Wohl said in an interview that Wohl Sr.’s many contributions to causes in the St. Louis area all had one root: he “wanted to relieve human suffering.”

In 1957, a donation of $2 million from the Wohl foundation provided much of the funding for a new addition to Washington University’s cancer research hospitals, the David P. Wohl Jr. – Washington University Clinics. The outpatient clinics were completed in addition to the Wohl Memorial Hospital and Barnard Free Skin and Cancer Hospital facilities in 1960.

Department of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine

  • Corporate body
  • 1910-

The Department of Pathology was created in 1910 with Dr. Eugene Opie serving as the first head of the department from 1910 to 1923. Today, the department is considered one of seven basic science departments of the School of Medicine, with a strong emphasis on immunology.

Marks, Ansel R.

  • Person
  • 1928-2019

Ansel R. Marks from Brooklyn, NY (born 1928) earned his A.B. (Pre-med, 1949) and M.D. at Washington University School of Medicine in the Class of 1953. He served his residency (1956) in Brooklyn, NY at the Veteran's Administration Hospital No. 9.

As a medical student, he studied histamine in the blood under the direction of Helen Tredway Graham. Three of his lab notebooks on histamine, 1951-1953 are in the Helen Tredway Graham papers. Two of his published papers on histamine (1952-1954) with Graham and Oliver Lowry are also in the Helen Tredway Graham Papers. He was practicing in Middletown, New York in 1978 and 1987 as a urologist. In 2007, when he was executive secretary of the New York Board for Professional Medical conduct, the Federation of State Medical Boards awarded him the John H. Clark M.D. Leadership award. The award recognizes outstanding leadership, commitment to advancing the public good, and a dedication to advancing medical licensure and ? at the national and state level. He died January 8, 2019
Preliminary Finding Aid, Helen Tredway Graham Papers, Bernard Becker Medical Library, Washington University School of Medicine; American Medical Directory, 1956, page 1302, Washington University School of Medicine Bulletin, 1950 https://digitalcommons.wustl.edu/med_bulletins/51/; Washington University School of Medicine, Alumni Directory, 1978, 1987; Ansel Raymond Marks Obituary, http://m.applebee-mcphillips.com/obituaries/wall?obituaryId=4010589&albumId=1038039&openModal=album; Outlook, Washington University School of Medicine, August 2019, page 32

Graham, Helen Tredway

  • Person
  • 1890-1971

Helen Tredway Graham (July 21, 1890 - April 4, 1971) graduated from Bryn Mawr College in 1911 and received her M.A. from Bryn Mawr in 1912. She studied for a year at the University of Gottingen, Germany and later earned her PhD at the University of Chicago while working with the renowned organic chemist Julius Stieglitz. In 1916, she married Evarts Graham, who was appointed Head of the Department of Surgery at Washington University in St. Louis. Helen took a job in the Pharmacology Department where she remained for the rest of her career. She was appointed Assistant Professor in 1931, Associate Professor in 1937, and Professor in 1954. She was a member of the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, the American Physiological Society, and the Histamine Club.

For most of Graham's career, her work concerned the physiology and pharmacology of the peripheral nerve. Graham collaborated with many respected researchers including Herbert Gasser, Lorente de No, Francis Schmitt, and James O'Leary. Later in her career, Graham dedicated her research to the field of histamine. She independently discovered the histamine storage function of mast cells and blood basophiles, and she developed highly sensitive methods for measuring histamine in body fluids. Shortly before her death at age 80, Graham successfully applied for a renewal of NIH grant to continue her work in histamine.

Glaser, Helen-Hofsommer

  • Person
  • 1924-1999

A respected pediatrician and psychiatrist, Helen Hofsommer Glaser was known as an effective, supportive, and imaginative editor of The Pharos, the journal of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.

Born in St. Louis, Missouri, Helen Hofsommer was determined to become a doctor. When she applied to medical school in the early 1940s, a disparaging dean implied that she was displacing a qualified man from a potential career in medicine. But it was wartime in America, and many men who might have studied medicine were abroad, in military service. With the support of her parents—both doctors—she graduated with a doctor of medicine degree from the Washington University School of Medicine in 1947. She married Robert Glaser two years later.

After her internship at St. Louis City Hospital and a two-year residency in pediatrics at St. Louis Children's Hospital, Dr. Glaser first worked in her father's pediatric practice. Over the next ten years the growing family (the Galsers had three children in the early 1950s) moved frequently. At the University of Colorado she worked in the Department of Pediatrics, focusing on the emotional effects of chronic illness on children and their families. Later, she continued her pediatric work at Boston Children's Hospital and the Massachusetts Mental Health Center.

When her husband became vice president for medical affairs and dean of the school of medicine at Stanford University in 1965, Glaser decided to pursue her longstanding interest in psychiatry, completing a four-year residency in 1974. She established her own practice, working primarily with adolescents, and continued as a clinical teacher at Stanford.

Throughout the 1970s, she served both as assistant and associate editor of The Pharos, a journal that emphasizes the artistic, literary, and cultural aspects of medicine. She was made managing editor in 1980, and served in that capacity until 1997. During her editorial tenure she helped develop many new sections and encouraged student contributors.

Source: https://cfmedicine.nlm.nih.gov/physicians/biography_130.html

Gest, Howard

  • 1830390
  • Person
  • 1921-2012

Howard Gest received his B.A. in Bacteriology from the University of California at Los Angeles in 1942. During his undergraduate studies, he worked with Salvador E. Luria and Max Delbruck (who along with Alfred D. Hershey won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1969 for their discoveries concerning the replication mechanism and the genetic structure of viruses) doing research on bacterial viruses at the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in New York. Gest began graduate work with Delbruck at Vanderbilt University, but World War II interrupted his studies. At that point he accepted a position to work on the Manhattan Project with the eminent physical chemist Charles Coryell at the University of Chicago, and later at Oak Ridge, TN.

In 1946, Gest became Martin Kamen’s first graduate student at Washington University. Martin Kamen was a professor in Biochemistry at the Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine. During Gest’s graduate work with Kamen, he became associated with Alfred Hershey in the Department of Bacteriology and Immunology at the School of Medicine. Gest received his Ph.D. in Microbiology from Washington University in 1949.

Gest was a faculty member at Western Reserve University School of Medicine from 1949 to 1959. Gest returned to Washington University as a faculty member in 1959. He was also a member of the Interdepartmental Committee on Molecular Biology. He remained a professor until 1966 when he joined the faculty at Indiana University, Bloomington. As of 2006, he served as Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Microbiology and Adjunct Professor of History and Philosophy of Science.

Professor, and Professor Emeritus of Microbiology, Indiana University; studied bacterial photosynthesis; died April 24, 2012, Bloomington, Indiana)
Howard Gest Papers (WUA00074), 1936-2011 WUA/04/wua00074 URL: http://archon.wulib.wustl.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=370

Humboldt Medical College

  • Corporate body
  • 1859-1869

The Humboldt Medical College (1859-1869) was organized as a German medical college in 1859 under the name of "Humboldt Institut oder Deutsch." Its founder was Dr. Adam Hammer, and two classes were graduated before the Civil War. Its sessions were then discontinued until 1866, when the institution was reorganized and the faculty was composed of the following physicians: F.G. Bernays, G. Bernays, D. Goebel, Adam Hammer, F.W. Hauck, T.C. Hilgard, C. Roesch and E. Schmidt.

The first course of lectures was given in the winter of 1866-1867, and the ambition of the promoters of this enterprise was to make Humboldt Medical College an institution that would compare favorably with the far-famed medical institutions of Germany. In their prospectus, the faculty announced the purpose of having a longer term than any other medical college in the country, of arranging a graded course, and of affording facilities of instruction for the different specialties. The building occupied by the college stood on the lot fronting St. Louis City Hospital on the south side of Soulard Street, and was admirably adapted for its purpose.

After reopening in 1866, the institution gave promise of success and graduated some physicians who later became eminent in their profession, but it failed to meet the expectation of promoters, and in 1869 most of its faculty resigned and the existence of the college terminated with the end of its third course of lectures.

*Source: Institutional history taken from the Encyclopedia of the History of St. Louis, 1899, vol. 2, p. 1075.

Results 121 to 140 of 4820