Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Pediatrics Department, WUSM
- Edward Mallinckrodt Department of Pediatrics
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Department of Pediatrics was made a part of the School of Medicine in 1891, when the St. Louis Medical College joined Washington University. The department, along with many university medical schools across the country, was reorganized in 1910 as a result of the Flexner Report. It was at this time that the Department gained its first residents in pediatrics.
In 1912, St. Louis Children’s Hospital officially affiliated with Washington University under the direction of department chairman Dr. Borden S. Veeder. The Pediatrics Department took control of the hospital’s clinical care. In 1917, W. McKim Marriott became the head of the department, and in 1919 he hired the Pediatrics Department’s first female faculty member, Kirsten Utheim Tovend.
Dr. Alexis F. Hartmann became department chair in 1936. In 1960, a new fellowship program for pediatrics residents was introduced, funded by the Dr. Herbert A. Mazur Children’s Fund. The program consisted of three years of funded study at St. Louis Children’s Hospital. 1964 began a ten-year process of donations from the Allen P. and Josephine B. Green Foundation for the development of a partnership between the Departments of Pediatrics and Neurology. The initial pledge consisted of $100,000 and by 1974 the fund had donated $500,000. Dr. David Goldring was department head during this time until 1966, when Dr. Philip R. Dodge took over. In 1967, Dr. Dodge was the 20th annual recipient of another ongoing donation process, this one from the Fern Waldman Memorial Fund in the amount of $5,000.
In 1986, Dr. Harvey R. Colten became the department chair, and under his leadership the Child Neurology division of the Pediatrics department was transferred to the Neurology Department. Dr. Alan L. Schwartz became head of the Department of Pediatrics in 1995. In that same year, the clinical labs established in 1912 at St. Louis Children’s Hospital were transferred completely from the Pediatrics Department to the Hospital. BJC Health Systems then integrated with Children’s Hospital. Dr. Schwartz served as department chair until 2015, when Dr. Gary A. Silverman took over leadership of the department.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion