Print preview Close

Showing 4 results

Archival description
Hospitals, Urban
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Frank O. Richards Papers

  • FC103
  • Collection
  • 1937-2003

The Frank O. Richards papers contains statistical and narrative pertaining primarily to Homer G. Phillips Hospital, the St. Louis municipal hospital founded and operated for African Americans in 1937, but also to two other institutions, City Hospital No. 2 and the Peoples’ Hospital, that treated black patients during decades of official racial segregation. Included are files on William H. Sinkler, medical director of Phillips Hospital from 1941 until 1960. The files in Box 1 in particular document the writing of his chapter, “The St. Louis Story,” in A Century of Black Surgeons. Box 2 contains later additions, notably an undergraduate thesis by Dean Lee Kolnick (2003) on Homer G. Phillips Hospital.

Richards, Frank O.

The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis Records

  • RG025
  • Collection
  • 1878-2006

This collection includes items related to The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis. From early community attempts to raise funds for a Jewish hospital; to the hospital’s construction at sites on Delmar Boulevard (completed in 1902), and later, on Kingshighway Boulevard (completed in 1926); and continuing up to and beyond its merger with Barnes Hospital in 1996, the history of Jewish Hospital is documented in a variety of material formats. The collection includes hospital statistics; correspondence; scrapbooks; newspaper and magazine clippings; VHS and cassette tapes; photographs; artifacts; hospital publications; administrative records; and staff biographical files. Also included are the files of multiple subsidiary and associated hospital organizations.  Of note is a set of key organizational documents for Jewish Hospital covering the years 1878-1977 ( series 11, sub-series 1); three large scrapbooks documenting hospital events and occurrences of the years 1927-1958 (series 5); and the collection of hospital publications ( series 9, sub-series 3), which includes serial magazines and annual reports of the hospital. Also of interest are the partial contents of the Delmar Boulevard hospital building’s 1901 cornerstone _(series 2, sub-series 1)and a collection of files documenting the 1962 hepatitis outbreak at Jewish Hospital (series 2, sub-series 2)._

Jewish Hospital of St. Louis

Barnes Hospital Records

  • RG009
  • Collection
  • 1836-2007

This collection includes items related to Barnes Hospital. From the bequest which funded the creation of the hospital; to the hospital’s opening at the end of 1914; and continuing up to and beyond its merger with Jewish Hospital in 1996, the history of Barnes Hospital is documented in a variety of material formats. The collection includes administrative records; staff correspondence; hospital publications; newspaper and magazine clippings; scrapbooks; photographs; VHS tapes; and artifacts. Of note is the collection of hospital publications ( series 4), which includes serial magazines and annual reports of the hospital, as well as ephemera such as brochures and flyers. Also noteworthy is the hospital superintendent’s correspondence collection ( _series 3)_covering the years 1913-1926; the hospital’s book of forms from the year of its opening ( series 1); a scrapbook containing correspondence of Robert A. Barnes and the original trustees of Barnes Hospital ( _series 8);_and the Hospital's Staff Register covering October 13, 1915 to January 13, 1958 ( series 5).

Barnes Hospital (Saint. Louis, Mo.)