In 1875 T. Hawksley, Ltd. of London made this ingenious hearing device for a deafened African rubber planter. The planter traveled on horseback to supervise his workers in the fields. The metal aid is shaped like a water canteen and is covered with leather. An adjustable leather strap allows the device to be carried over the shoulder. The removal of the metal grill on the top reveals 5 partitions to receive the sound. A sturdy 34 inch flexible rubber tube extends from the box to the ear. 'HAWKSLEY, 357 OXFORD, LONDON' is inscribed on a plate attached to the metal grill.