Landau, William M.
Landau, William M.
Tape of Oral history interview with John Herweg by Candace O'Connor along with her notes from the interview. Two biographical accounts on John Herweg include "In the Interest of Small Children," which was prepared on Herweg's retirement as Associate Dean for Students in 1990 from oral history and other published souces in the archives. It was produced at the request of Library Director, Susan Crawford and M. Kenton King, Danforth Professor of Preventive Medicine.
Herweg, John C.
This collection contains records related to Lindsay J. Kirkham, Jr., a 1946 graduate of Washington University School of Medicine. Collection materials include academic and military service records, certificates, membership cards, two patent applications, a patent for an Electrocardiographic Switching System (patent #3343528), two CVs, a certificate of copyright registration, and an obituary.
Washington University School of Dental Medicine Memorial Room Photographs. The Memorial Room is located in the main entrances to the Biotechnology Center Building, formerly the Washington Unversity School of Dentistry 1927 building and the Carlyn H. Wohl Research Center 1961 addition. VC349001 through VC349014 were taken in May 1994, at the time of the installation of a six panel historical exhibit on the WU School of Dental Medicine, and show the original installation of the exhibit as well as the original location of 8 bas relief plaques featuring early deans of the dental school. Copy negatives of images used in the exhibit are also included. VC349015 through VC349033 were taken in July 2015 and detail the individual bas relief plaques as well as the condition of the six panels of the historical exhibit. 33 Photographs.
Washington University School of Dental Medicine
Minutes of meetings form the bulk of the record group. These document decisions on hiring, salaries, tenure, departmental organization, buildings and equipment, affiliated hospitals and clinics, general finance, and other matters of vital importance to the school. During most of its history, the Executive Faculty has met between ten and twenty times a year. Since 1946, agendas of meetings have been preserved along with the minutes.
Executive Faculty, Washington University School of Medicine
This collection includes items related to St. Louis Children’s Hospital, one of the first children’s hospitals in the country. The history of the hospital, beginning with its opening in 1879, is documented in a variety of material formats.
The collection includes hospital publications; photographs in various forms; tapes and film reels; scrapbooks; newspaper and magazine clippings; artifacts and printing blocks; administrative records; hospital contracts and legal materials; financial records; press releases and media queries; and hospital histories and chronologies. Also included are some departmental records, as well as records of institutions and organizations associated with the hospital.
Of note is the collection of hospital publications ( series 1), which includes serial publications and annual reports of the hospital, and photographs ( _series 2)of various hospital events, employees, patients, and building areas. Also included are records (series 11)_of the Martha Parsons Free Hospital for Children (previously the Augusta Free Hospital for Children), which merged with St. Louis Children’s Hospital in 1910. Of further note are early financial records of St. Louis Children’s Hospital (s _eries 9),_as well as early Board of Managers meeting minutes ( _series 12).Early contracts and written histories of the hospital (series 14)_and a variety of staff and departmental files ( _series 17)_are included in the collection.
St. Louis Children's Hospital
A short history written by Dr. Owens titled, “History of Anesthesiology and the Department of Anesthesiology, Washington University in Saint Louis School of Medicine and Barnes Hospital, 1912-1992”.
Owens, William D.
Accession 2017-037: William M. Landau Papers (FC119): 8 record cartons and 5 oversized framed items. Box 1-2, personal and professional correspondence, circa 1980-2010, Box 3, framed items, videos and audio recordings of lectures, Boxes 4-8 scientific equipment from Landau's and George Bishop's laboratories.
This small collection includes a few transcripts of speeches given by Dr. Landau at various meetings, reprints, and documentation regarding Dr. Landau’s role in PNHP in Missouri (Physicians for a National Health Program). See also oral history numbers OH090 and OH107 for Dr. Landau's oral histories.
Landau, William M.
This collection contains records related to Teresa J. Vietti, emeritus professor of pediatrics at Washington Unviersity School of Medicine. The contents of the collection include photographs, correspondence, articles, certificates, biographical information including a CV, and a signed first edition of her textbook Clinical Pediatric Oncology (1973). The majority of the correspondence and articles in the collection pertain to Teresa Vietti's identical twin sister, Ardel, and the search for her wherabouts after she was kidnapped by members of the Viet Cong on May 30, 1962. Some of the correspondence was originally sent to Teresa's parents, Grace and Victor Vietti, and includes investigative reports filed by the Department of State.
Vietti, Teresa J.
This collection includes items relating to BJC Health System (later BJC HealthCare), with a particular focus on the hospitals of the Washington University Medical Campus and Barnes-Jewish Hospital. Though the collection is mainly composed of items dating from just before and following the creation of Barnes-Jewish, Inc. in March of 1993, there are also some items included for organizational purposes from Barnes Hospital and Jewish Hospital prior to their affiliation and eventual merger in 1996. Of particular note are the biographical files ( series 2) of prominent Barnes Hospital, Jewish Hospital, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, and BJC HealthCare employees, affiliates, and volunteers. Also significant are the Barnes-Jewish Hospital Board of Directors materials ( series 4), which include those from the first year of Barnes-Jewish Hospital’s existence following the 1996 merger. The collection also includes publications, photographs, newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, artifacts, audio-visual materials, and staff lists, as well as files related to Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital and Washington University.
The St. Louis Society for Internal Medicine records are comprised of mostly organizational records including meeting minutes, agendas, and member rosters. Another significant part of this collection is made up of correspondence, curriculum vitas of members, and the text of lectures given at meetings. Also noteworthy is a typescript volume of early historical sketches, a volume on officers, membership and attendance records, dues and assessments, and legal documents including the articles of agreement and original by-laws.
Eulogy for Margaret (Margo) Skinner (1935-2008).
Chole, Richard A.
Institute of Clinical and Translational Sciences (ICTS) Newsletter.
Institute of Clinical and Translational Sciences
This collection includes items related to Barnes Hospital. From the bequest which funded the creation of the hospital; to the hospital’s opening at the end of 1914; and continuing up to and beyond its merger with Jewish Hospital in 1996, the history of Barnes Hospital is documented in a variety of material formats. The collection includes administrative records; staff correspondence; hospital publications; newspaper and magazine clippings; scrapbooks; photographs; VHS tapes; and artifacts. Of note is the collection of hospital publications ( series 4), which includes serial magazines and annual reports of the hospital, as well as ephemera such as brochures and flyers. Also noteworthy is the hospital superintendent’s correspondence collection ( _series 3)_covering the years 1913-1926; the hospital’s book of forms from the year of its opening ( series 1); a scrapbook containing correspondence of Robert A. Barnes and the original trustees of Barnes Hospital ( _series 8);_and the Hospital's Staff Register covering October 13, 1915 to January 13, 1958 ( series 5).
Barnes Hospital (Saint. Louis, Mo.)
In his 2006 oral history, Milder discusses growing up in St. Louis and his career as an ophthalmologist. He reminisces about his classmates and professors at medical school, the history of the practice of ophthalmology in St. Louis, and talks about some of his published books.
Interviewed by Paul Anderson in 2006. Interviewed in three parts (09/27/2006; 10/04/2006; 10/18/2006).
Kipnis, David M.
Files containing documents and information compiled by and about Drs. Irene E. Karl (1915-2006) and Michael M. Karl (1915-2006). Correspondence, scientific papers and publications, documents concerning the Karl Lectureship, press releases and press coverage of the Karls' careers and achievements. A copy of the 28th ed of Manual of Medical Therapeutics (1995) inscribed and dedicated to Michael Karl (to be retained with collection as an artifact). The files and items were given as one collection, with no overall discernable order.
Karl, Irene E.
This collection includes items related to The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis. From early community attempts to raise funds for a Jewish hospital; to the hospital’s construction at sites on Delmar Boulevard (completed in 1902), and later, on Kingshighway Boulevard (completed in 1926); and continuing up to and beyond its merger with Barnes Hospital in 1996, the history of Jewish Hospital is documented in a variety of material formats. The collection includes hospital statistics; correspondence; scrapbooks; newspaper and magazine clippings; VHS and cassette tapes; photographs; artifacts; hospital publications; administrative records; and staff biographical files. Also included are the files of multiple subsidiary and associated hospital organizations. Of note is a set of key organizational documents for Jewish Hospital covering the years 1878-1977 ( series 11, sub-series 1); three large scrapbooks documenting hospital events and occurrences of the years 1927-1958 (series 5); and the collection of hospital publications ( series 9, sub-series 3), which includes serial magazines and annual reports of the hospital. Also of interest are the partial contents of the Delmar Boulevard hospital building’s 1901 cornerstone _(series 2, sub-series 1)and a collection of files documenting the 1962 hepatitis outbreak at Jewish Hospital (series 2, sub-series 2)._
Jewish Hospital of St. Louis
Curriculum vitae, 1997, and drafts and supporting materials on two of Mueller's projects on the history of medicine. For the history of McMaster University Medical School there is the draft of Part I. For the writing of Evarts A. Graham, the life, lives, and times of the surgical spirit of St. Louis (Hamilton, ON, 2002), there are interviews, notes, drafts, and other materials compiled. Of special interest are files containing original correspondence from various persons relating their memories of Graham. There is also an oral history of Frank R. Bradley by Peter D. Olch, original materials about Helen T. Graham and about Olch and his father I. Y. Olch.
Mueller, C. Barber