Showing 157 results

Archival description
History, 20th century
Print preview View:

Robert C. Milburn, Barnes Medical College Photographs and Artifacts

  • VC142
  • Collection
  • 1898-1912

This collection consists of 21 photographs, certificates, and artifacts from Robert C. Milburn, a graduate of Barnes Medical College in 1899. Photographs include group portraits with Milburn, including a composite portrait of Barnes Medical College class of 1899 and a tintype with Milburn and his partner Dr. J.A. Rea. Artifacts include clippings, a business card, a paperweight, a urinometer, and a surgical instrument kit.

Milburn, Robert C.

Barnes Medical College or University bulletins, 1900-1912.

Barnes Medical College was organized in 1892 as a for-profit venture by a group of physicians and business leaders and named in honor of a recently deceased merchant, Robert A. Barnes (1808-1892). Barnes had bequeathed money for the construction of a hospital and it has been widely presumed that the educators’ choice of name was part of an attempt to secure an affiliation between the two institutions. If so, the attempt failed, for the trustees of the Robert A. Barnes estate chose instead to reinvest the assets and wait for a more favorable time to build Barnes Hospital. Ignoring the rebuff, the college trustees constructed a building of their own at 2645 Chestnut (later renamed Lawton) Street. The institution quickly became the largest medical college in the city (ca. 400 students) and its program outgrew the original structure. In 1896 a second building opened two blocks west, on Lawson at Garrison Avenue. In 1902 the objective of a college-related clinical facility was achieved with the establishment of Centenary Hospital and the Barnes Dispensary in a new adjoining building. The institution also operated a dental college (see below), a college of pharmacy, and a nurses’ training program. At its height, the college enrolled approximately 600 students, and in 1904 changed its name to Barnes University. Despite these enhancements and changes of name, it became increasing apparent that the institution was financially unstable. The trustees offered their properties to the Curators of the University of Missouri in 1906 to house the state medical college. The negotiations lasted over a year and the Curators came close to accepting what seemed at first to be a generous offer. In the end, however, the state refused to pay the private venture’s debts and plans for the connection collapsed in 1908. During this same period, Barnes did absorb a smaller private school, the Hippocratean College of Medicine. Flexner severely criticized the Barnes institutions in 1909, however, a contemporary reviewer writing for the American Medical Association (Philip Skrainka, 1910) judged their quality “good.” One year following the merger with American Medical College in 1911 the names Barnes ceased to refer to medical instruction by this organization. For a brief period (1911-1914?) the Centenary facility was administered by Christian Hospital. From 1919 until 1936 the city of St. Louis used the building as a hospital for African American patients (City Hospital No. 2). The structures at Garrison and Lawton were demolished in 1960.

Barnes Medical College, Saint Louis

National University of Arts and Sciences documents, 1913-1915.

Exactly why the backers of Barnes University chose in 1912 to rename their institution National University of Arts and Sciences is unknown, although it is possible to speculate that whereas construction of the (totally unrelated) Barnes Hospital was by then underway, the hospital trustees perhaps asserted claims to exclusive rights to the Barnes name. National University established an undergraduate college in 1913, with courses initially offered in the medical building, then in 1915 moved to a structure at Grand and Delmar Boulevards. The institution attempted as well to operate a preparatory academy. After Christian Hospital withdrew from administration of the former Centenary structure, what was left of the inpatient facility was renamed National Hospital. Also in 1915, a merger was announced between the medical department and the St. Louis College of Physician and Surgeons, another financially beleaguered independent school. This arrangement failed, however, with Physicians and Surgeons withdrawing its faculty and students in 1916. That year witnessed the end of all the National departments but medicine. In 1918 the last medical class graduated and National’s clinical facilities ceased to treat patients.

National University of Arts and Sciences, St. Louis, Missouri

George Homan Papers

  • FC032
  • Collection
  • 1878-1920

This collection contains lectures, memoranda, data, correspondence, notes, clippings, and reprints.

Homan, George, 1846-1928

John B. Shapleigh Papers

  • FC109
  • Collection
  • 1881-1922

The collection is comprised of material gathered by John B. Shapleigh, II concerning his grandfather. Although most of the files were created posthumously, notably the memorial addresses and newspaper clippings, some are contemporary to the elder Shapleigh. Of special interest are the miscellaneous personal memorabilia and the report on the Washington University Hospital.

Shapleigh, John B.

John B. Shapleigh Certificates and Drawings

  • VC317
  • Collection
  • 1883-1925

This collection consists of 4 drawings and 2 certificates from John B. Shapleigh. Three of the drawings are cartoon caricatures that include a cut-out photograph of the subject's face and a drawn body.

Shapleigh, John B.

Harvey J. Howard Reprints

  • FC063
  • Collection
  • 1912-1927

A collection of Howard's selected reprints, 1912-1927, while he was in Chinese institutions.

Howard, Harvey J.

James Moores Ball Papers

  • PC040
  • Collection
  • 1894-1928

The collection contains mostly correspondence and reprints, but also included are newspaper and journal clippings, manuscripts of lectures, and papers on ophthalmology and the history of medicine.

Ball, James Moores

Ernest Sachs Reprints and Instruments

  • FC082
  • Collection
  • 1910-1929

Reprints of 41 scientific articles and 2 case reports authored or co-authored by Ernest Sachs. Subjects include neurosurgery, neuropathology, and neuroanatomy. Also includes three medical artifacts or instrument: .Hemocyctometer case with two glass pipettes for measuring white and red blood cells. Label on case reads “Blutkorperzahlapparat nach Thoma.” Manufactured by C. Zeiss, Jena; Wooden case containing 5 bone chisels manufactured by Louis & H. Loewenstei, Berlin; .

Sachs, Ernest

George H. Bishop Instruments

  • VC242
  • Collection
  • circa 1930

This collection consists of 17 instruments used by George H. Bishop when he was conducting physiology research at Washington University School of Medicine.

Bishop, George H.

W. McKim Marriott Reprints

  • FC074
  • Collection
  • 1905-1931

The collection is composed of selected reprints of Marriott’s published works, covering thirteen studies and articles on infant care and nutrition, medical curriculum, and biochemistry.

Marriott, W. McKim

E.V. Cowdry Cytological Drawings

  • VC188
  • Collection
  • 1911-1932

This collection consists of 70 cytological drawings and 5 sketchbooks drawn by E.V. Cowdry. Many of the drawings were matched to articles written by Cowdry and originally published between 1911 and 1932. See FC008, Series 72 for reprints of the relevant articles.

Cowdry, E. V. (Edmund Vincent)

Hallowell Davis Photographs

  • VC091
  • Collection
  • 1934-1939

This collection consists of 12 photographs depicting scenes from the early days of electroencephalography, including photographs published in LIFE magazine and the Sunday Mirror, and brain wave graphs published by Hallowell Davis, et. al. in the Journal of Neurophysiology.

Davis, Hallowell, 1896-1992

Robert A. Moore Reprints

  • FC075
  • Collection
  • 1927-1940

Reprints of 77 scientific articles authored or co-authored by Robert A. Moore, 1927-1940, mostly prior to his joining the faculty at Washington University. During this period, his research was on the number of glomeruli in the normal and pathological kidney and the morphology of the prostate gland. Autopsy and hospital pathology studies are also found.

Moore, Robert A.

General Faculty Records

  • RG01B
  • Collection
  • 1911-1941

Minutes of meetings form the series. The finding aid is not complete.

General Faculty, Washington University School of Medicine

Results 1 to 20 of 157