Print preview Close

Showing 166 results

Archival description
History, 20th century English
Print preview View:

Barnes Hospital Records

  • RG009
  • Collection
  • 1836-2007

This collection includes items related to Barnes Hospital. From the bequest which funded the creation of the hospital; to the hospital’s opening at the end of 1914; and continuing up to and beyond its merger with Jewish Hospital in 1996, the history of Barnes Hospital is documented in a variety of material formats. The collection includes administrative records; staff correspondence; hospital publications; newspaper and magazine clippings; scrapbooks; photographs; VHS tapes; and artifacts. Of note is the collection of hospital publications (series 4), which includes serial magazines and annual reports of the hospital, as well as ephemera such as brochures and flyers. Also noteworthy is the hospital superintendent’s correspondence collection (series 3) covering the years 1913-1926; the hospital’s book of forms from the year of its opening (series 1); a scrapbook containing correspondence of Robert A. Barnes and the original trustees of Barnes Hospital (series 8); and the Hospital's Staff Register covering October 13, 1915 to January 13, 1958 (series 5).

Barnes Hospital (Saint. Louis, Mo.)

George Homan Papers

  • FC032
  • Collection
  • 1878-1920

This collection contains lectures, memoranda, data, correspondence, notes, clippings, and reprints.

Homan, George, 1846-1928

The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis Records

  • RG025
  • Collection
  • 1878-2006

This collection includes items related to The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis. From early community attempts to raise funds for a Jewish hospital; to the hospital’s construction at sites on Delmar Boulevard (completed in 1902), and later, on Kingshighway Boulevard (completed in 1926); and continuing up to and beyond its merger with Barnes Hospital in 1996, the history of Jewish Hospital is documented in a variety of material formats. The collection includes hospital statistics; correspondence; scrapbooks; newspaper and magazine clippings; VHS and cassette tapes; photographs; artifacts; hospital publications; administrative records; and staff biographical files. Also included are the files of multiple subsidiary and associated hospital organizations.  Of note is a set of key organizational documents for Jewish Hospital covering the years 1878-1977 ( series 11, sub-series 1); three large scrapbooks documenting hospital events and occurrences of the years 1927-1958 (series 5); and the collection of hospital publications ( series 9, sub-series 3), which includes serial magazines and annual reports of the hospital. Also of interest are the partial contents of the Delmar Boulevard hospital building’s 1901 cornerstone _(series 2, sub-series 1)and a collection of files documenting the 1962 hepatitis outbreak at Jewish Hospital (series 2, sub-series 2)._

Jewish Hospital of St. Louis

John B. Shapleigh Papers

  • FC109
  • Collection
  • 1881-1922

The collection is comprised of material gathered by John B. Shapleigh, II concerning his grandfather. Although most of the files were created posthumously, notably the memorial addresses and newspaper clippings, some are contemporary to the elder Shapleigh. Of special interest are the miscellaneous personal memorabilia and the report on the Washington University Hospital.

Shapleigh, John B.

John B. Shapleigh Certificates and Drawings

  • VC317
  • Collection
  • 1883-1925

This collection consists of 4 drawings and 2 certificates from John B. Shapleigh. Three of the drawings are cartoon caricatures that include a cut-out photograph of the subject's face and a drawn body.

Shapleigh, John B.

Joseph Erlanger Papers

  • FC001
  • Collection
  • 1890-1964

The collection consists of eight series. The attempt has been made to maintain the original order as much as possible, and particularly in the correspondence and scientific data series. Much of the material, however, was transmitted and accessioned in small portions in the years 1963-1966, and in some cases items were placed on display in the Library before being arranged in series. The microfilming, moreover, was carried out before the final arrangement and analysis of the collection could be made; somewhat premature filming decisions have, therefore, affected the final arrangement that is presented here and some items are missing or poorly described on the film.

Erlanger, Joseph

Leo Loeb Papers

  • FC002
  • Collection
  • 1893-1959

The Leo Loeb papers consist of Dr. Loeb’s note books, lectures, research notes and manuscripts,  and scrapbooks. The series of personal correspondence is largely incoming and fragmentary with some letters filed in  Series 8: Bibliographical notes on the medical literature, manuscripts, research pathology data and occasional related correspondence, Undated & 1921-1958. The papers also include notes and drafts for two unpublished books. One is on mental processes and titled _Psychical Goods_or _The Imponderables. _The other unfinished book is on cancer.

Loeb, Leo, 1869-1959

James Moores Ball Papers

  • PC040
  • Collection
  • 1894-1928

The collection contains mostly correspondence and reprints, but also included are newspaper and journal clippings, manuscripts of lectures, and papers on ophthalmology and the history of medicine.

Ball, James Moores

Robert J. Terry Papers

  • FC006
  • Collection
  • 1895-1966

This collection predominantly consists of Dr. Terry’s professional correspondence.  There are multiple series of correspondence which have remained separated and in the same arrangement as they were received by Dr. Terry.  There are also a number of reprints and publications in this collection, most of which were authored by Dr. Terry.  Most of Dr. Terry’s reprints have been bound together and placed into Series 1.  Also of note in this collection are two different series of research notes and drafts of papers on Sprengel’s deformity and fluid in the lungs.

Terry, Robert J. (Robert James), 1871-1966

Robert C. Milburn, Barnes Medical College Photographs and Artifacts

  • VC142
  • Collection
  • 1898-1912

This collection consists of 21 photographs, certificates, and artifacts from Robert C. Milburn, a graduate of Barnes Medical College in 1899. Photographs include group portraits with Milburn, including a composite portrait of Barnes Medical College class of 1899 and a tintype with Milburn and his partner Dr. J.A. Rea. Artifacts include clippings, a business card, a paperweight, a urinometer, and a surgical instrument kit.

Milburn, Robert C.

Barnes Medical College or University bulletins, 1900-1912.

Barnes Medical College was organized in 1892 as a for-profit venture by a group of physicians and business leaders and named in honor of a recently deceased merchant, Robert A. Barnes (1808-1892). Barnes had bequeathed money for the construction of a hospital and it has been widely presumed that the educators’ choice of name was part of an attempt to secure an affiliation between the two institutions. If so, the attempt failed, for the trustees of the Robert A. Barnes estate chose instead to reinvest the assets and wait for a more favorable time to build Barnes Hospital. Ignoring the rebuff, the college trustees constructed a building of their own at 2645 Chestnut (later renamed Lawton) Street. The institution quickly became the largest medical college in the city (ca. 400 students) and its program outgrew the original structure. In 1896 a second building opened two blocks west, on Lawson at Garrison Avenue. In 1902 the objective of a college-related clinical facility was achieved with the establishment of Centenary Hospital and the Barnes Dispensary in a new adjoining building. The institution also operated a dental college (see below), a college of pharmacy, and a nurses’ training program. At its height, the college enrolled approximately 600 students, and in 1904 changed its name to Barnes University. Despite these enhancements and changes of name, it became increasing apparent that the institution was financially unstable. The trustees offered their properties to the Curators of the University of Missouri in 1906 to house the state medical college. The negotiations lasted over a year and the Curators came close to accepting what seemed at first to be a generous offer. In the end, however, the state refused to pay the private venture’s debts and plans for the connection collapsed in 1908. During this same period, Barnes did absorb a smaller private school, the Hippocratean College of Medicine. Flexner severely criticized the Barnes institutions in 1909, however, a contemporary reviewer writing for the American Medical Association (Philip Skrainka, 1910) judged their quality “good.” One year following the merger with American Medical College in 1911 the names Barnes ceased to refer to medical instruction by this organization. For a brief period (1911-1914?) the Centenary facility was administered by Christian Hospital. From 1919 until 1936 the city of St. Louis used the building as a hospital for African American patients (City Hospital No. 2). The structures at Garrison and Lawton were demolished in 1960.

Barnes Medical College, Saint Louis

Helen Tredway Graham Photographs

  • VC049
  • Collection
  • 1900-1968

This collection consists of 124 photographs and glass lantern slides and an academic cap and gown from the personal and professional life of Helen Tredway Graham. Depicted subjects include portraits of Helen and her family from throughout her life, personal and professional photographs of Helen and her husband Evarts A. Graham, and photographs of and with the Grahams' colleagues at Washington University School of Medicine.

Graham, Helen Tredway

Vilray Blair Papers

  • FC025
  • Collection
  • 1901-1955

The Vilray Blair Papers comprise 10 series that include office files, publications by Blair and other authors, and military memorabilia. The publications document Blair’s interest and achievements in plastic and oral surgery, especially his success in treating harelip and cleft palate, skin grafting, and reconstructive facial surgery. His correspondence and professional association memorabilia illuminate his extensive involvement as a recognized leader in the medical community, and his military memorabilia details his time as a plastic surgeon in the U.S. Army.

Blair, Vilray Papin, 1871-1955

M. G. Seelig Reprints

  • FC083
  • Collection
  • 1903-1947

The M. G. Seelig Reprints is a collection of 92 scientific articles authored or co-authored by M. G. Seelig that have been bound in two separate volumes. Volume 1 (1904-1922) is titled “Seelig Reprints.” Volume 2 (1904-1947) is titled “Collected Papers of M. G. Seelig, M.D.” Subjects include shock, clinical surgery, cancer, surgical pathology, and medical history.

Seelig, Major G.

Executive Faculty Records

  • RG01A
  • Collection
  • 1903-2015

Minutes of meetings form the bulk of the record group. These document decisions on hiring, salaries, tenure, departmental organization, buildings and equipment, affiliated hospitals and clinics, general finance, and other matters of vital importance to the school. During most of its history, the Executive Faculty has met between ten and twenty times a year. Since 1946, agendas of meetings have been preserved along with the minutes.

Executive Faculty, Washington University School of Medicine

Evarts A. Graham Papers

  • FC003
  • Collection
  • 1904-1957

The original inventory of the Graham Papers was compiled before the collection was donated to the Washington University School of Medicine Library.  Unfortunately, some items were removed from Dr. Graham’s files before the collection was donated.  Therefore, the inventory that was provided along with the collection included citations to many items, particularly scientific reprints, which had in fact been removed from the files before the collection was donated to the Archives.

The decision was made by the library staff to continue using the original inventory in order to show the collection in its entirety.  The inventory has been revised to include the following changes: (1) empty folders are marked as such by brackets or by an asterisk (*) to indicate items removed; (2) the collection has been microfilmed, and notations concerning the reels may be found within the inventory; (3) the collection has been placed in document boxes and notations concerning the boxes have been added to the inventory.

The files are divided into sixteen series, which are listed below. The series designations together with the folder titles provide basic descriptions of the contents.  Particular note, however, should be made of series 11, which contains correspondence files of Dr. Fred Murphy, Graham’s predecessor as Chairman of the Department of Surgery.

Graham, Evarts A. (Evarts Ambrose), 1883-1957

Alpha Omega Alpha Fraternity Records

  • PC050
  • Collection
  • 1905-1957

The record group concerns the selection of medical students for the society and the development of the local chapter. The records list many members who became prominent in their fields. The Alpha Omega Alpha fraternity records consist of three volumes, 1905-1957, that include the initial charter and constitution and by-laws, minutes of chapter meetings, treasury records, chapter membership lists, other by-laws, correspondence, and publications. See also the The Hatchet (1923-1931) and the Archives vertical file (1938-1992) for more information on this student organization.

Alpha Omega Alpha. Alpha of Missouri Chapter

Results 1 to 20 of 166