Type of entity
Authorized form of name
St. Louis Children's Hospital
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
- Children's Hospital (Saint Louis, Mo.)
Other form(s) of name
- Children's Hospital
- Saint Louis Children's Hospital
- Washington University (Saint Louis, Mo.). Medical Center. Children's Hospital
- Children's Hospital; Saint Louis, Missouri
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
St. Louis Children's Hospital was founded in 1879 and is the oldest pediatric hospital west of the Mississippi River and the 7th oldest in the United States. St. Louis Children's Hospital (SLCH) opened in 1879 at 2834 Franklin Avenue, in a small building which could admit just 15 patients. Created through the efforts of a group of St. Louis women and homeopathic doctors, SLCH was one of the first hospitals dedicated to the care of children in the United States. Within five years of opening, a new, larger hospital building was constructed at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Adams Street in 1884. The hospital's growth continued as it affiliated with another children's hospital, the Martha Parsons Free Hospital for Children (previously the Augusta Free Hospital for Children), in 1910.
A large gift to fund a new hospital building and an affiliation agreement with Washington University prompted the hospital to move again in 1915. This new building was located at 500 South Kingshighway Boulevard near the new Barnes Hospital and the Washington University School of Medicine campus. SLCH would move once again just one block north to a new building at 400 South Kingshighway Boulevard in 1984. Throughout its years of operation, SLCH has shared staff, building space, and in other ways partnered with other local institutions including Barnes Hospital, Jewish Hospital, and St. Louis Maternity Hospital. In 1994, SLCH signed a merger agreement with BJC Health System.
Over the course of its history, SLCH has continually grown, offering new services and admitting more patients. From the two initial patients which the hospital admitted in 1879, total patient admissions at the main hospital building grew to 76 admissions in 1885; 1,800 admissions in 1915; 3,987 admissions in 1942; 7,360 admissions in 1977; and 15,500 admissions in 2009. The $551.34 of cash on hand which the hospital reported in 1879 had grown to net revenue of $4,556,000 in 1983, just before the hospital moved to its new 400 South Kingshighway building.
St. Louis Children's Hospital has achieved worldwide, national, and regional medical innovations and firsts, and provides national and regional leadership in multiple medical specialties. Among these achievements is the first treatment of a diabetic child using insulin in the United States in 1922. SLCH is consistently ranked among the best pediatric hospitals in the United States by U.S. News and World Report.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Creation: December 19, 2019
Revised: July 21, 2020 9:48 AM
- LC Name Authority File (LCNAF), Corporate Name n85235721: preferred Name: Children's Hospital (Saint Louis, Mo.); variants: Saint Louis Children's Hospital ; Washington University (Saint Louis, Mo.). Medical Center. Children's Hospital (Sources found: Saint Louis souvenirs, c1984:t.p. (Children's Hospital; Saint Louis, Missouri) t.p. verso (Saint Louis Children's Hospital) p. 4 (founded 1879; affiliated with Washington University Medical Center; Change Notes: 1985-08-30: new; 2015-05-23: revised) URI's : http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n85235721)